• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anyone drink alot?

Dave.P

Dave.P

I'm new to this, so please be gentle.
I've had rapid cycling bipolar for 4 yrs. It's changed alot, as have I, but my alcohol level has stayed the same. 8-10 cans of beer or 3 bottles of wine a night. It does help me sleep (of course) but that's not why I drink. I think it's boredom. I Stay awake til 4am most nights and being drunk curbs those crazy thoughts, feelings and actions. I wish I could hone my BP and channel it into something creative. But I don't or can't. I'm even bored of booze!
I know it doesn't help my meds or my moods or anything really. I just like that safe place at night, nothing challenging. It's like my fantasy world. Those few hours every night where I can sup and puff and slip away from Dave.P
Booze gave me gout last week so I feel a right ninny about it!
Any ideas?
Many thanks. Dave.P

E

emoatnight

Hey Dave

Hey there I too have bipolar disorder and i used to drink a similar amount to yourself but i gradually increased and ended uup giving myself alcohol poisining which trust me wasnt fun lol. With drink as long as it isnt effecting your life outside eg socially, work related, education etc it shouldnt be a problem as long as you stick to a similar amount but if it feels like you are needing more alcohol then its time to back off. About your creativity i play guitar so maybe you could think about taking up a musical instrument, possible go along to a local art course or creative writing these are just some suggestions but there are a lot of things out there to try.

jax

jax

Hi Dave, I have rapid cycling too - but the ultra-radian type. I don't drink at all. I did drink to escape my depressions about 7 years ago. I stopped drinking for numerous reasons - one being that it really did nothing for my depression other than make me feel worse the next day.

S

skyblue

Hi,

I used to be a heavy drinker, I used to love my drink and use it to try and escape and make myself feel better. Alcohol was also like drinking potent coffee for me, it used to keep me up all night, which only made things worse. But like Jax, I had to stop because it made me feel twice as bad for the next few days and I then used to drink more because of that to take those bad feelings away, it was a vicious circle.

At first it was really hard to give up, but now that i'm taking the right medication, I no longer have to self medicate with the wrong thing and so don't drink at all and I feel so much better for it.

chesya

chesya

I used to unconciously medicate with alcohol against manic phases. I've felt so much better since I stopped.

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

I've been batteling a serious alcohol addiction for the last three and a half years; it has to be the hardest thing i've ever done in my life trying to stay off the dam stuff.

As you know yourself it is the most unhelpful thing you can do; drinking with a MH condition as alcohol is a depressant which makes everything even worse.

MH conditions and alcohol abuse often seem to go together.

R

rasselas

I used to drink way too much tea. Once when I was a non-paying guest at the acute mental hospital the staff removed the tea bags from the kitchen. Because of me and my excessive tea drinking. This immediately made me ward enemy number one. It was the first time in my life that the phrase, "you're giving everyone a headache" was literally accurate.

Dave.P

Dave.P

Thanks for the support.

Thank you all for the replies. It's warming to hear such honest advice as this alchohol problem has made me feel ashamed and 'dirty' and turned focus away from managing my bipolar. It's nice to know that others have had similar experiences and that booze and mental health isn't an uncommon problem.
When I was younger I used to shovel booze and drugs down, anything for a rush really, partying all night long, being a real extrovert and letting go.
That was ten years ago and since my diagnoisis any extreme behaviour, 'letting go', is deemed inapporiate. I think I'm scared of enjoying myself, just incase it's 'crazy'. I used to like my 'mad side', It made me, me. But these days I'm not too sure.
I do play guitar and banjo but huge waves of apathy have filled me recently leaving me bored of nearly everything, a bit un-emotional.
Discussing these issues with all of you is really cool though as this is my only form of council and it is helping, so thank you.
Here's to enjoying ourselves!

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Hi Dave, have you thought that maybe its the alcohol thats causing the apathy and general malaise? Its widely recognised that alcohol is a depressant. I'm not getting at you, I'm certainly not averse to a pint or 12 myself but I know that on a Sunday I am guaranteed to be fed up and have no motivation at all!!

Dave.P

Dave.P

That sounds right you know.

Yeh, feeling depressed about feeling depressed, then boozing, feeling depressed about that and what do you get...? Apathy and guilt! When you drink alot you don't want to do anything, but drink and that brings out frustration.
The ale is making me boring. It's a barrier to enjoying myself.
It clouds my bipolar but perhaps I need to face it sober.
Thanks for that, take care.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Its a rubbish vicious circle isn't it?? The depressions made me boring!! I used to be the life and soul of every party now I can't even leave the house on my own, its just no fun at all!!

M

magdalen

Hello, I'm new here. I used alcohol from an early age to mask depression. It hasn't been easy but it's 18 months now since I touched a drop. I take one day at a time and, generally, my life has been a little more manageable.