• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Anyone Diagnosed With Conversion Disorder?

JIBBAJABBA

JIBBAJABBA

Founding Member
Hi.....new here and very nervous.......

Have looked everywhere for a forum which has discussions and or members who have been diagnosed with or are going through a diagnosis of Conversion Disorder!

Anyone?

Thank you

Jibbajabba :(

x

D

Dollit

Hi Jibbajabba and :welcome:. No need to be nervous here, this is a very good place and quite magical. I don't think we have another member with conversion disorder but don't let that put you off. We all talk to one another and offer support and help. Have a look round and join in. :)

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello and :welcome: Jibbajabba , like Dollit say's no need to be nervous , we are a friendly bunch and will help and support as much as we can :)

JIBBAJABBA

JIBBAJABBA

Founding Member
Thanks for your reply......I havent been DX with it as yet it has only been suggested we go down that road as I have had neurological symptoms since 2003 on and off and have been told on several occasions by several Drs that its very suggestive of MS.

I have recently seen a neuro who thinks differently tho and has said there is nothing wrong neurologically in his opinion and that he thinks my symptoms are poss more of a psychogenic type and poss Conversion Disorder.

In conversion disorder, physical symptoms that are caused by psychologic conflict are unconsciously converted to resemble those of a neurologic disorder.

So while im in no way opposed to it being psychological, I am still in Limbo Land if you like as to wether it is a mental sidorder or an organic disease so I am very concerned and worried about the outcome!

I am in a wheelchair as a result of whatever it is and have numerous 'neurological symptoms' regardles of what the end diagnosis will be!

Sorry its long winded......

Jibba x

D

Dollit

If talking on here helps you get things sorted then talk away. Love your avatar - I live in Bristol but from Middlesbrough. :)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi there jibbajabba. and welcome.:welcome: Im sure youll find us all very supportative on here.

I can empathise with your problem, not for myself but my sister has bechets disease and that mimics other illnessess. She is tho covered in skin ulcers and cannot go out without her wheelchair. She went thru a phase of thinking she was a hypochondriac but with discussions with her consultant she was told catagorically that it was not in her mind and it is a physical illness.

Sometimes there is no finite answer to an illness, but the best thing you can do is accept you have an illness and it is part of you no matter how it presents itself.

takecare:hug:

JIBBAJABBA

JIBBAJABBA

Founding Member
Hi Daffy,

thanks for your reply.....Yes I guess thats the best route to just accept and try and move on whatever the end result or dx ends up being.... Its just hard to switch from being told its organic and probable MS to seeing a new neuro and being told 'it in your mind'....and while Im not opposed to it being CD I am converned that they have/are missing simething as I have started having seizures in Oct and havent been scanned since they started so obviously concerned they have missed something important!

Will see how things go and see what my GP says once he has my letter from Neuro.....

Hope your sis is coping as best she can I know its difficult living your life in a wheelchair especially when youve been so active before!

Best wishes and thanks again!

Jibba jabba xx

irishmam

irishmam

Founding Member
Hi

Just wanted to say Hi and :welcome:

I am fairly new and have found everyone on here really friendly and supportive.

Hope to speak to you soon.

:):)

JIBBAJABBA

JIBBAJABBA

Founding Member
Hi 'mam'

Im really impressed with the amount of messages I have had and only joined last night lol...everyone is so very friendly its great to be made to feel this welcome....talk to you soon xx

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Hi there JibbaJabba, not come across Conversion Disorder much, tho' it figures quite alot in a book I am reading. I suppose it is somewhat like a somatic illness, that being where people present with a physical condition which masks other conditions more psychological or neurobiological in cause.

Anyway good to have you onboard hope the place helps you :welcome:

JIBBAJABBA

JIBBAJABBA

Founding Member
Yeah thats exactly what it is....its not very common I dont think or just folk dont want to talk about it maybe.....but yeah glad I found this site its great!!

Jibbs xx

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Well let's see if we can get that face in your signature smiling :flowers:

JIBBAJABBA

JIBBAJABBA

Founding Member
lol yes I know I cant find where I change it lol Im poop around these forum profile things lolol

D

Dollit

At the top of the page, click on User CP and then Edit Signature! :)