• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anyone Diagnosed Bipolar with Psychotic Features?

JessisMe

JessisMe

This is my diagnosis. Is it yours too? Let’s swap stories...😊

Martian

Martian

I was diagnosed bipolar 1 decades ago and had my first psychotic symptoms this past winter. I'm on new meds and have seen new psychiatrist only once so far. She said she'd wait until I'm stabilized before doing another neuro-psych exam. I went off on a trip intending to live as a nomad with travel trailer for 7-1/2 months and the stress brought on the psychosis. First episode age 61. On geodon and depakote just recently, but I'm doing a lot better. I also found SARDAA meetings which help a lot, as does their literature. I had never heard of it before it's in the US. Great organization. Huge help.

Zero One

Zero One

Hmmm...I have schizoaffective disorder which is bipolar plus psychosis (schizophrenia). Not sure if that is similar as it appears to me.

HLon99

HLon99

Hi again jess,

Hope you are well

I have Bipolar with some psychotic features although not full blown psychosis. Even when my mood is stable, I would experience paranoia and mild visual hallucinations such as objects slightly moving. On several occasions I have accused friends and family of plotting something behind my back and this has really strained my relationships with them. When manic, obviously I feel grandiose and was convinced that I was somewhat of a God. This has lead me to do some very reckless things like max out my credit cards and steal a car. When I'm depressed, I would get delusions of guilt, that somehow I'm a terrible person that has committed some terrible sin and deserve to be punished. This lead me to seriously contemplate suicide for the greater part of a month. Since being on antipsychotic meds, my symptoms have greatly improved and I no longer suffer from delusions of any kind, I still sometimes see some objects move slightly, just in the corner of my eye, but nowhere near as bad as before. I am now fully coherent and feel like my usual self :)

Hope this helps

-H

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I was diagnosed bipolar1 for many years but after a few bouts of severe psychosis this was changed to schitzo affective. With the correct medication this can be managed well but it too me years to find the right combination. Ive not had a full blown psychosis needing hospital for over 10years but i do have bouts of mania that can manly manifest as becoming very hyper , having ‘brilliant ideas’ and spending a lot of money. The latest one recently involved me thinking it would be a good idea to paint a solid wood table. I was quite impressed until i came down in the morning and saw the floor covered in paint splatters. Fortunately it was a laminate floor so it all came off but ive had to dump the table cos its such a mess

G

Galaxy

I had my first full psychosis episode in January. Previously 'only' had mania. Can't really remember too much of it but it did get me sectioned/in hospital for 4 weeks unfortunately.

manicmonday

manicmonday

I was sectioned for just psychosis at first and then they said I was manic about a month later, and when I was discharged told me, pretty casually tbh, though it was in ward round, I had bipolar. So there was no point that anyone said I was officialy bipolar with psychotic features but I guess that's what I am. My psychosis was pretty extreme and got me a three month section and then a CTO (and I only got that because they were desperate for beds, I'd have been in another few weeks if they weren't).

JessisMe

JessisMe

My psychoses include delusions of grandeur where I think I have many powerful and important friends and am a power player in politics or in the music industry. My mania gives me all kinds of creative ideas, business or politics related, that I try to follow through on (and usually fail). I will run around telling people that I am going to marry a certain celebrity and that I am friends with certain celebrities and I will believe this to be true. I will think that inanimate objects represent people I know and that what I do with these objects has implications for our relationship. This has happened with beach blankets, books, coffee mugs, shampoo bottles and objects left in the recycling bins. Outdoor and indoor plants too. What do your psychoses look like? Do they scare you or others or are they more easily brushed off as something silly? I believe them 100% in the moment although probably to others it seems crazy. Only after I come out of it months later do I see and understand the extent to which I experienced s total break from
reality and it scares me.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
What do your psychoses look like? Do they scare you or others or are they more easily brushed off as something silly? I believe them 100% in the moment although probably to others it seems crazy. Only after I come out of it months later do I see and understand the extent to which I experienced s total break from
reality and it scares me.
Mine tend to be conspiracy theories mainly to do with aliens and I’m the only one that knows they are here and the government is trying to shut me up by medicating and watching me constantly. So i end up taking car registrations and sometimes have phoned the police about them. I also suffer hallucinations some of which are very disturbing

JessisMe

JessisMe

Part of the mania, I guess, is I also tend to send tons of emails and make tons of phone calls usually about getting my “projects” going, communicating with people I know about my “favored and powerful status.” I make calls to the police to point out everything that bothers me, including sometimes their behavior. I call all up and down state government advocating for various things or sharing my ideas with them. I contact politicians and businessmen regarding these ideas too, some of which are more grounded in reality than others. I read somewhere that excessive communication. especially making excessive phone calls, is a common feature in mania. Are excessive phone calls a characteristic of your manias too?

manicmonday

manicmonday

Part of the mania, I guess, is I also tend to send tons of emails and make tons of phone calls usually about getting my “projects” going, communicating with people I know about my “favored and powerful status.” I make calls to the police to point out everything that bothers me, including sometimes their behavior. I call all up and down state government advocating for various things or sharing my ideas with them. I contact politicians and businessmen regarding these ideas too, some of which are more grounded in reality than others. I read somewhere that excessive communication. especially making excessive phone calls, is a common feature in mania. Are excessive phone calls a characteristic of your manias too?
I was texting other parents I know so they took my phone from me when I was admitted and didn't give it back for about 8 weeks so I couldn't do it.

A

Art78

I was diagnosed bp1 after postpartum psychosis at 30 after my 4th baby. It was hell. I can't remember most of it. I didn't sleep for months before he was born and months after. He was born almost a month early due to the stress and manic episodes I was having. I remember hearing things, and extreme paranoia. I remember being terrified at 4 am because of possums I could see from my bedroom window, in my driveway. You have no idea how much fear they caused me. I am so very glad I got help. I know if I wouldn't have I would have killed myself and how extremely awful to even utter, my own baby.
I do not think it was my first psychosis. I had a bad episode at 25. It was Halloween. I was thoroughly convinced the rapture had happened because I couldn't find my kids. They were safe with grandma which I knew. But I was in this line of thinking that they were gone and I'd been left behind.
I still have mania, but never like that. Medicine really does safeguard against the scary part of mania. I just want the mania without fear, anxiety, and psychosis!!

A

Art78

Yes, I also am a manic texter and caller.i will send someone 15 texts at 3am. Even though I know they are asleep and won't respond!! I can't stop it in a mood like that. That's why this forum is so great!! Lol

Zero One

Zero One

I'm really messed up in my mind, but this sounds really good to me. You are making a difference in the world.