• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anyone been triggered by a repetitive monotonous melody? Any insights?

F

Fireandrain07

Aloha everyone! My daughter put on a show for my granddaughter called Cocomelon on Netflix it’s a children’s show with cheesy animation and “kid music”. After a awhile, the music caused a distressing reaction in my head. Every song sounded like the insy winsy spider set to Auto play. The same repetitive monotonous notes... it freaked me out! I needed to flee and couldnʻt take one more song! I retreated to my room and became frightenened by the stream of tears flowing uncontrollably. My affliction is cyclothymia and i have not experienced symptoms like these for a very long time. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Do you have any insights besides the obvious choice to never watch that show again?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Do you have anything from your past that this brought back to you somehow or was it an unlinked reaction?

F

Fireandrain07

Aloha e Wishbone! Mahalo for your reply! I have experienced this before with car honking alarms that are incessant and don’t stop. Another occasion was a phone alarm ... that blaring beep! It’s like... hearing do re mi over and over on replay becomes like Chinese water torture but for my ears. I have to cup my hands over my ears and I feel like I’m gonna lose it! I googled the symptoms and dysphonia seems to be the condition. I was just curious if it was connected to Cyclothymia. So I thought I’d ask those who struggle with the same affliction.

L

LadyDomino

I get repetative noises and single lines from songs. The only thing that gives me any releif is listening to audio books through headphones - I find a well narrated book very soothing.

J

JeanPierre

Mainstream media does that to me. I feel the propaganda.
Cut cable over 10 years ago and that helped a lot.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I have experienced this before with car honking alarms that are incessant and don’t stop. Another occasion was a phone alarm ... that blaring beep! It’s like... hearing do re mi over and over on replay becomes like Chinese water torture but for my ears. I have to cup my hands over my ears and I feel like I’m gonna lose it! I googled the symptoms and dysphonia seems to be the condition.
I searched for Dysphonia and got 'hoarse voice'. Maybe it was something else. 😄

So do you mean more like a sensitivity to sound, or to certain things, like JeanPierre says with the mainstream media (it does that to me too, and adverts!) I get sound sensitivity to things like ticking clocks and so on, which seems more like my brain being switched on to things it should probably be ignoring, but then I also get irritability and then sounds can become something to annoy me. But yeah, it's mostly repetative sounds that do it to me.