• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anyone been to rehab?

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

As the title suggests I am looking at taking some time out from work in a few months time in order to go to rehab to address my alcohol issues.

I wondered if any of you have been and if so how did you find it? Your thoughts and experiences would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance:D

A

Apotheosis

Many years ago I went to one. Landed there. They vary a lot.

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Had a feeling they would. I notice some of them deal with people with dual diagnosis specifically as well. Did you find it helpful?

A

Apotheosis

In a way - I don't want to go into details of what it was like for me back then.

It planted a seed - after an 8 year relapse later - I got clean; & have stayed clean this time - coming up 9 years.

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Well done Apotheosis I think staying away from the dam stuff is harder than anything i've ever had to do; it makes my law degree childsplay.

Thanks for your reply.

A

Apotheosis

Do you read? DiagnosisBipolar2

What really helped me, & was a causital factor in finally getting clean & sober was fully reading the NA basic text -

http://www.na.org/admin/include/spaw2/uploads/pdf/BT6E_Webposting.pdf

Or get hold of a copy -

http://www.ukna.org/ukso/ukso.html

There is also the AA Big Book -

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/

I decided not to go back into treatment; but instead attended a great deal of 12 step meetings; NA, AA & CA. I read most of all their literature, & made a lot of acquaintances & friends of people in T-Total recovery.

There is a slightly odd aspect to 12 step recovery. It's application isn't really intellectual in any way; this method of recovery is about action. It isn't until action is taken that understanding comes.

At 21 I first read the NA Basic Text - & I understood it; it made sense; but I didn't practise any of it. It wasn't until I actually did what was suggested that any change took place.

12 step recovery is far from the only method of recovery, but it does work.

T-Total recovery is not easy. But despite all the challenges & difficulties; there is a certain sublime quality to life that I could never had had in active addiction/alcoholism.

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

I do indeed read though admittedly not as much as i'd like to anymore. If i'm drunk I cant concentrate, if i'm low I cant concentrate, if i'm hyper I dont want to concentrate and if none of the above apply i'm usually to busy at work to concentrate on reading! You get the picture:LOL:

Thanks very much for those links I shall have a gander xx

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i was in a bad situation once and my alcoholism got really bad. so bad i went for any help going i went to see them at this rehab and they said they couldnt help me because i had a mental illness so i went back to cpn who said they couldnt help me because i was drinking. i really feel something needs to be done about this treating the patient as a person and not ticking health and safety forms

A

Apotheosis

i was in a bad situation once and my alcoholism got really bad. so bad i went for any help going i went to see them at this rehab and they said they couldnt help me because i had a mental illness so i went back to cpn who said they couldnt help me because i was drinking. i really feel something needs to be done about this treating the patient as a person and not ticking health and safety forms
This is one of the main difficulties that I have found. If you have both addiction & severe MH issues - finding tailored support for such complex psychological issues is hard to next to impossible.

Reactions range from - it's the drugs that sent you mad; to your mad & it's not the drugs.

The MH services initially acknowledged that drugs had played a part in things; on the first section - I do think that it was a lot more than the drugs though. My drug issues were never addressed by the medical profession. As my Journey through the psychiatric system continued; the addiction issues were pushed more & more into the background as not being an issue.

With 12 Step recovery; I have learned to largely keep the MH issues separate to the addition issues; because 99% of people simply do not understand. I think that there is a 'Dual Diagnosis' Anonymous; but not in the UK, I don't think.

It is very hard to find the support & help that you need when dealing with all this stuff. There is cross-over. Being in T-Total recovery has helped me to address coping & dealing with certain aspects of the MH issues. Dealing with addiction has helped to separate out difficulties; & to see more of where I am at with other things.

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

It is so annoying isn't it. People with dual diagnosis are often those most in need yet we seem to get lost in the system.

Like Apothesis I keep the two seperate; I see the mental health team for my bipolar and a local drugs and alcohol charity (who I owe my life to) for my drinking.

I notice that there are a few rehabs that deal with dual diagnosis clients I imagine in years to come the UK will finally catch up with America and do more to help dual diagnosis clients.

C

calastars

I know you posted this a while back, I have just joined the site. Did you go into rehab? I tried on my own to tackle my alcoholism in the communty and then with the help of addiction services and AA but I kept relapsing, I went into rehab for eight and a half months, it was tough but what I needed, I am almost two years sober, although the depression remains and I struggle with it, being sober helps me try and cope with it and get a proper diagnosis. I hope you have been given a chance to tackle your alcohol issues.

Going to rehab does not work if your not really ready. If your really ready for something it will be done. Its not alwlays easy to know when you are really ready for something. You may think your ready but your not.

J

jpc2010

Dual Recovery Anonymous UK

This is one of the main difficulties that I have found. If you have both addiction & severe MH issues - finding tailored support for such complex psychological issues is hard to next to impossible.

Reactions range from - it's the drugs that sent you mad; to your mad & it's not the drugs.
The MH services initially acknowledged that drugs had played a part in things; on the first section - I do think that it was a lot more than the drugs though. My drug issues were never addressed by the medical profession. As my Journey through the psychiatric system continued; the addiction issues were pushed more & more into the background as not being an issue.

With 12 Step recovery; I have learned to largely keep the MH issues separate to the addition issues; because 99% of people simply do not understand. I think that there is a 'Dual Diagnosis' Anonymous; but not in the UK, I don't think.

It is very hard to find the support & help that you need when dealing with all this stuff. There is cross-over. Being in T-Total recovery has helped me to address coping & dealing with certain aspects of the MH issues. Dealing with addiction has helped to separate out difficulties; & to see more of where I am at with other things.

There is a 12-Step programme specifically adapted for people with a dual diagnosis (in the UK and worldwide) called Dual Recovery Anonymous.

Dual Recovery Anonymous now has a website for people in the United Kingdom that has a lot of information about what Dual Recovery Anonymous (DRA) is, how we help each other and how we started to recover from our two no-fault illnesses.

The website also contains personal stories, a meetings directory and links to places where you can buy literature to aid you in your recovery.

http://www.dualrecoveryanonymous.org

If you’re in the UK and, like me, there wasn’t a meeting near you it is worth talking to MH and drug / alcohol services about getting funding to travel to and from your nearest meeting through Self-Directed Support.

A bit about Dual Recovery Anonymous:

Dual Recovery Anonymous™ is a Fellowship of men and women who meet to support each other in our common recovery from two no-fault illnesses: an emotional or psychiatric illness and chemical dependency.

Dual Recovery Anonymous™ is a 12-step self-help programme that is based on the principals of the Twelve Steps and the experiences of men and women in recovery with a dual diagnosis. The DRA programme helps us recover from both our chemical dependency and our emotional or psychiatric illness by focusing on relapse prevention and actively improving the quality of our lives. In a community of mutual support, we learn to avoid the risks that lead back to alcohol and drug use as well as reducing the symptoms of our emotional or psychiatric illness.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you need any more information.

Good luck with your dual recovery!

:)