• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anyone been in an acute psych ward to detox?

C

CloudDog

Hi, my sister has been vomiting for the last 5 hours, but mum just called off the ambulance i phoned for my sister.

my sister is 36 and lives with my mum for the last 14 months

my sister has scars from a recent attempt she is chronically and very acutely suicidal,

she's alcoholic

she said the other day that she thought she might need to go in somewhere but would talk about it tomorrow

she said the same today (yesterday now, it's 01.23)
I don't know what to say to her i emailed her an email that she would only be able to read if she can grasp a concept, but she is highly dyslexic, probably drunk etc

what do i do? what do i say to her tomorrow?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gajolene

Gajolene

Tell her you love her as your sister and will be there to support her when she get's out. Avoid trying to tell her how to fix things,or being judgemental, leave that to the professionals and her to figure out. Be an ear for her if she needs to talk, but you don't necessarily have to say anything, just be there for her, have empathy and compassion. She may need rides to hospital and doctors appointments when she gets out. Help with that if you can. Hopefully she commits herself to a full detox and psychiatric/and psychological treatment plan while she is in there and probably will have an aftercare program to attend. At least that's how they do it where I live in Canada. Hope this helps.

BillFish

BillFish

Hi, my sister has been vomiting for the last 5 hours, but mum just called off the ambulance i phoned for my sister.

my sister is 36 and lives with my mum for the last 14 months

my sister has scars from a recent attempt she is chronically and very acutely suicidal,

she's alcoholic

she said the other day that she thought she might need to go in somewhere but would talk about it tomorrow

she said the same today (yesterday now, it's 01.23)
I don't know what to say to her i emailed her an email that she would only be able to read if she can grasp a concept, but she is highly dyslexic, probably drunk etc

what do i do? what do i say to her tomorrow?
Really shouldn't be a drama to go in for a few weeks and get her head straight, really isn't a big drama to spend a few weeks in hospital these days.It's not like it was 15 years ago for sure, they seem to have got their act together with a a younger better trained generation of staff, the old guard from the 70's 80's are mostly moved on or left the job now.:peace: