• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anybody try self-message and/or essential oils for anxiety?

Daybreak

Daybreak

So I was looking into muscle relaxants, because I realized that a lot of my anxiety is stored in my chronically tense forehead muscles, my neck muscles and the muscles around my eyes, I don't want to take benzodiazepines, since they can become addictive. I heard about essential oils and how some of them like peppermint oil are also muscle relaxers. Peppermint oil is said to have a cooling effect, so I thought it would work wonders for my chronically tense muscles, it is also said to work for tensions headaches and migraines. I didn't find anything about peppermint oil being addictive and it doesn't seem to have many side effects so those are other big reasons while I'm interested.

There are some possible downsides I found to some essential oils, like allergic reactions for some people, they can potentially cause skin rashes, IIRC some essential oils can cause your skin to be sensitive to the sun for several hours, you should never get it in your eyes and when used on young males some essential oils can cause them develop breast, so make sure you research thoroughly if your getting into it, as I'm just learning this stuff myself. Also ask your doctor if it's ok for to take essential oils, especially if your taking medications. One interesting thing to note is that you can either apply diluted essentials oils topically (on the skin) or you can breathe them in by using a diffuser to diffuse the aroma of an essential oil in the air. If you don't dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil, it will be too potent and may cause a burning sensation.

I'm very enthusiastic about this, because think it could provide great relief for anxiety. Has anyone tried essential oils and how effective were they for anxiety? Can you use them on your forehead, provided you don't get them in your eyes? I'm also interested in self-message, but most of the time it doesn't provide much relief, so I don't do it often. Do you need a specific technique, like using finger tips on certain areas in specific motions or something? Recently however my relief with self-message has gone up a bit. How much relief do you usually get from self-message?

Novastars

Novastars

What about trying Bach Rescue Remedy instead? It comes in sprays, drops, pastilles, creams and helps control anxiety.

Daybreak

Daybreak

What about trying Bach Rescue Remedy instead? It comes in sprays, drops, pastilles, creams and helps control anxiety.
Thanks for telling me about it, but I don't think my psychiatrist will let me take it due to the alcohol content in it, since I take antipsychotics. I'll ask her the next time I see her.

Novastars

Novastars

You can get it alcohol free too. I take that because I find the taste of alcohol disgusting. It's labeled as for the use for animals but humans can take it too (and of course, we are animals too :) ).

90s_cat

90s_cat

I use essential oils topically, in a carrier oil or lotion. I don't find the essential oils themselves alleviate anxiety, but including them in a massage or a grounding ritual is helpful (like meditating or deep breathing, while rubbing a lotion into your shoulders). Some are nice on sore muscles, like peppermint, lavender, and clove. Eucalyptus is nice for sinus issues, in a diffuser or just hot water.

Lavender is thought to be the best for stress and headaches. A few drops in a carrier oil (I like apricot kernel oil) and massaged on my neck and forehead is relaxing. The brand VivaNaturals makes a nice lavender massage oil. You can also put a few drops into a lotion or a bath; the bottles will tell you how many drops in a carrier is safe.

I would google self-massage videos. I'm sure there are some techniques that are more helpful than others. I usually just do what feels nice, or push down hard on a trigger point.

Side note: Please don't ingest essential oils. There's only a small few that are food safe, but even then you have to be careful. A tiny bottle of essential oil can be hundreds of pounds of herb, so it can be quite toxic at those amounts.