• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anybody taken or on Sertraline?

• Thread starter Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Start date
Mrs Tiggywinkle

Mrs Tiggywinkle

Hi, I’ve been prescribed Sertraline, but I’m a bit nervous to take them as the side effects are anxiety initially. The GP warned me at least twice. To be honest it’s the coming off tablets that I always feel worried about as have had bad experiences before. Is it best to sit out the storm and try and cope without?

Any views gratefully accepted, thanks.

L

lanx_lad

200mg a day but really for depression, I take mirtazapine that helps with the anxiety. I think they help me get to a manageable day to day level. My mate started having anxiety and panic attacks so I talked to him, got him to see his GP who put him on sertraline and they've really helped him.

Mrs Tiggywinkle

Mrs Tiggywinkle

Ok thanks Lanx lad for the information, so hopefully Sertraline will help my anxiety too.

HannyC

HannyC

Hi!

I have recently started taking Sertraline and yes I did experience side effects but I kept telling myself that it was just the medication and soon enough they started to ease of and I felt a sense of calm wave over me. Having daily panic attacks and constant feeling of fear this was something that I welcomed very much! It's still early days for me and I feel I need to up my dose but if you can stick out the first week you will start to see the benefits deffo recommend!

Stay strong and always here to help if you want someone to rant to!
Sending hugs!

E

EstherRose94

I take sertraline. I would ask for something to take for anxiety during the first week and then after that you should be fine. Just tell your GP you’re worried.

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

Yeah I take sertraline! I take it for depression though and supplement it with an anti-anxiety med Clonazepam (Klonopin). But I was just saying in another post, I don't believe I had any side effects because I was already on Prozac before that and the transition was seemless. i did have side effects starting the Prozac though (I'm pretty sure. my memory is not the best)...but yeah, so the advice here to be patient is good. If the side effects get too bothersome though, contact your doctor. Good luck!

D

DL1

hi
after a bad bout of depression , the only medication , that lifted the low moods was setraline.
i take the prescribed dosage 100 mg daily.
i find it has helped , however it does take 4- 6 weeks until i started to feel the low moods start to lift.
i am diagnosed with bipolar 2 , so i also take lithium to stabilise my mood swings.
i personally find setraline has the best effect for me.
good luck be patient its not easy saying it does work when you are not feeling at your best.

F

Faith04

Has anyone that has used Zoloft had a shaky feeling in your hands? I am on week 5 and my hands are slightly shaky? will that go away when my body gets 100% used to the meds?

F

Faith04

And just to let you know that during the 5 weeks ( I switched from Paxil) first on 50mg, then 100 mg and just today to 150mg...It has made me feel so much better and the side effects art that bad...no worse than the anxiety you are feeling..take the pills they HELP TERMENDOUSLY

K

KeyTrio

I was on 50MG sertraline, but around 5-6 weeks ago they upped it to 100MG because my anxiety was getting out of control. I’m still riding out the side effects and increased anxiety (which 2 GPs said would happen), so I’m staying optimistic the wait is worth it.

Apart from that, I don’t think I’m experiencing any other side effects except for the constant feeling tired.

Mrs Tiggywinkle

Mrs Tiggywinkle

And just to let you know that during the 5 weeks ( I switched from Paxil) first on 50mg, then 100 mg and just today to 150mg...It has made me feel so much better and the side effects art that bad...no worse than the anxiety you are feeling..take the pills they HELP TERMENDOUSLY
Thank you for letting me know your experience. :hug:

Mrs Tiggywinkle

Mrs Tiggywinkle

I was on 50MG sertraline, but around 5-6 weeks ago they upped it to 100MG because my anxiety was getting out of control. I’m still riding out the side effects and increased anxiety (which 2 GPs said would happen), so I’m staying optimistic the wait is worth it.

Apart from that, I don’t think I’m experiencing any other side effects except for the constant feeling tired.
Thank you also for sharing your experience with Sertraline , I’m still unsure whether to start taking it as my gp did mention the anxiety initially. :hug:

K

KeyTrio

Thank you also for sharing your experience with Sertraline , I’m still unsure whether to start taking it as my gp did mention the anxiety initially. :hug:

No problem! Unfortunately for medication such as Sertraline, there’s a “gonna get worse before it gets better” sort of deal. What are you on currently? I know you mentioned you’re worried about coming off tablets but I don’t think you said which ones?