• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anybody into web coding?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I have been learning JavaScript the last few weeks. It is a fun language to learn, and you can use it to help build websites.

I am following the course at freeCodeCamp.

One of the tasks is to solve algorithms - which may sound hard but it is a lot of fun.

Like doing a crossword for nerds.

Also found this site - codewars - which looks pretty cool.

I am hoping these skills will lead me to a new career when I am feeling up to it.

I have worked in tech before, but all the action appears to be on web technology so that is what i am going to do. :D

American Boy

American Boy

I have been learning JavaScript the last few weeks. It is a fun language to learn, and you can use it to help build websites.

One of the tasks is to solve algorithms - which may sound hard but it is a lot of fun.

I am hoping these skills will lead me to a new career when I am feeling up to it.

I have worked in tech before, but all the action appears to be on web technology so that is what i am going to do. :D
When you learn how to hack a data base let me know :) All sounds good tho.

B

Boring

that's good you're learning web coding. i've learned a bit of HTML, but wanted to learn coding from the basics. so i've spent more than half a year studying C++ and discrete mathematics. but what i've found is that computer science communities don't seem quite friendly towards me. they seem to discourage me from studying computer programming and i've had to study computers on my own, which I felt was a slower and less holistic way of learning.

Last edited:
G

Gregor Samsa

I highly recommend starting with a language like C or Python if it's your first time getting involved with programming, as it'll be more intuitive. If you're looking to delve into web development you should only do so after getting a good grasp with a simple language.

American Boy

American Boy

Does anybody remember BBC Basic? that was my first computer language the first computing language which my science teacher taught me in 1998.

N

naominash

JavaScript? Fun???

I love HTML, css. Responsive web design is fun. That's about it for me.

NeedHaldol

NeedHaldol

I graduated with a BS in software design. Before that I was a self taught web/graphic designer.

I don't code anymore. In fact quite the opposite - i am a mobile dj.

I use my web design skills to refresh the design every so often.

Good, in depth tutorials at Lynda.com, you may want to check that out.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I highly recommend starting with a language like C or Python if it's your first time getting involved with programming, as it'll be more intuitive. If you're looking to delve into web development you should only do so after getting a good grasp with a simple language.
I am not a beginner, but my weakness in programming have been exposed whislt doing exercies. I am thinking it might be a good idea to learn Python or Java to compliment my skills. I also need to brush up my SQL

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

images-2.jpeg
I learned some BASIC when I was a kid and I reverse engineered some javascript when I was in my teens. I actually used javascript to make a virus (well sort of) it would near instantly give you the blue screen of death in windows 98

Solitude1

Solitude1

I'd like to learn programming but my mathematics is not good 🙁 and when you said solving algorithms I got scared and I think I can't ever do it

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I'd like to learn programming but my mathematics is not good �� and when you said solving algorithms I got scared and I think I can't ever do it
You never know until you try. Seek out a programming aptitude test. Thats what I did first back at uni. I did better at the test that my actual course which gave me confidence to pursue it. If you have the aptitude you can give it a go.

Solitude1

Solitude1

You never know until you try. Seek out a programming aptitude test. Thats what I did first back at uni. I did better at the test that my actual course which gave me confidence to pursue it. If you have the aptitude you can give it a go.
I'll give it a go, thank you 👍

American Boy

American Boy

View attachment 13199
I learned some BASIC when I was a kid and I reverse engineered some javascript when I was in my teens. I actually used javascript to make a virus (well sort of) it would near instantly give you the blue screen of death in windows 98
Programming in basic lol

I got some awesome commands for BBC Basic I have an old BBC Micro that I use from time to time to do programming on.