• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anybody feel too "smart" to be alive?

R

rbaulbin

Not in a proud way. But the notion that you simply have no or insufficient illusion in your mind to genuinely care?

This life is 98% information processing, and the information sucks.

If you don't have an ego, you can't justify caring enough about this "fantasy" we live in called life. Reality = no meaning.
The only meaning is the ego's glory, and maybe the dopamine from a quality piece of pizza.

"Get a hobby." Sure, I do. It passes the time a bit, but ultimately feels like a dog playing with a bone and has no real life in it.

"Find a different one." Tried that. It's just not genuinely worth my time. I'd rather stare at the stars.

"Well then maybe that's what you should be doing." I do it. But it's not sufficient.

"Go help someone else." Sure, I do. Doesn't mean I genuinely care about caring. I really don't. I'm not a sociopath, but I'd rather you not have a damn problem to have to fix. I'd rather I'd have no problems that you'd have to help fix. I don't feel helping to fix problems justifies my existence. Yes I feel empathy and compassion, and yes I put others first. But I'd rather not have to. I'd rather the problems not be there to begin with. From a "biblical" perspective, there were "no problems in Eden." We now solve problems for a living, rather than living in sensory bliss.

I think perhaps if I was set up with an IV drip of dopamine by rolling around in a field with supermodels, that might work for a day or two, then I'd need new models, because like everything else, it'd get old.

I truly enjoy laughing and interacting with others that are on the same exact wavelength, but only when there's sufficient stuff to interact about. There is insufficient stuff to interact about, therefore no reactivity. Then we have to pay others to react to things. They're called films. And there's only been a handful of good ones in 30 years.

Maitri

Maitri

Not in a proud way. But the notion that you simply have no or insufficient illusion in your mind to genuinely care?

This life is 98% information processing, and the information sucks.

If you don't have an ego, you can't justify caring enough about this "fantasy" we live in called life. Reality = no meaning.
The only meaning is the ego's glory, and maybe the dopamine from a quality piece of pizza.

As I see it our core is to "interpret" (i.e. the reality in which we live and move and have our being, or as you say "information") I would say you need to interpret things differently.

Many guides are "out there" to offer alternatives to what I would say are your own jejune and negative "processing" of the "information".

And really, at core, nothing "smart" about it at all.

All the best

Contramike

Contramike

Ghandi said:

“Whatever you do in life will be insignificant but it is very important that you do it because you can't know. You can't ever really know the meaning of your life. And you don't need to. Every life has a meaning, whether it lasts one hundred years or one hundred seconds. Every life, and every death, changes the world in its own way. You can't know. So don't take it for granted. But don't take it too seriously. Don't postpone what you want. Don't leave anything misunderstood. Make sure the people you care about know. Make sure they know how you really feel. Because just like that...It could end.”​

Enjoy yourself as much as possible! A moment enjoyed is not a moment wasted!

If you want to get morbid about it, then life is just a series of distractions. Enjoy them as much as you can!

Within reason.

R

rbaulbin

@Contramike
Ghandi said:

“Whatever you do in life will be insignificant but it is very important that you do it because you can't know. You can't ever really know the meaning of your life. And you don't need to. Every life has a meaning, whether it lasts one hundred years or one hundred seconds. Every life, and every death, changes the world in its own way. You can't know. So don't take it for granted. But don't take it too seriously. Don't postpone what you want. Don't leave anything misunderstood. Make sure the people you care about know. Make sure they know how you really feel. Because just like that...It could end.”​

Enjoy yourself as much as possible! A moment enjoyed is not a moment wasted!

If you want to get morbid about it, then life is just a series of distractions. Enjoy them as much as you can!

Within reason.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess that's just the problem: I don't enjoy it, because I feel like it's genuinely not enjoyable. Not because of depression, but because the activities themselves carry insufficient meaning. And that's where the "too smart" issue comes in. I feel as though intelligence is a curse.

Contramike

Contramike

How did you come to the conclusion that your intelligence is blocking your ability to enjoy things? I mean, some things are genuinely not enjoyable, but there are some things you have a good time with, right?

M

Mister Vertigo

How do you not have an ego though?
yes I put others first. But I'd rather not have to. I'd rather the problems not be there to begin with.
I think you miss the point of why people help each other if you'd rather not have to. Who makes you? Your ego?

"I truly enjoy laughing and interacting with others that are on the same exact wavelength" -

Definitely ego talking. Intrinsic human values have nothing to do with what 'wavelength' you happen to be on. Love is the only real connecting 'thing' we have. it is not dependent on who you deem to be intellectually worthy, if it is, it' your ego talking. IMO.

I

IDontCare99

@rbaulbin I definitely don't believe I'm too smart, just disillusioned like Mr. Robot. I honestly believe the smartest people are the ones who are able to overlook everything, and 'choose' happiness. You got to admit, it takes a strong willed person to be able to do that. I've always envied that.

M

Mister Vertigo

@IDontCare99 Yeah I tend to agree, but I don't think it is 'overlook' so much as 'can make sense of'.

Maitri

Maitri

Many guides are "out there" to offer alternatives....
A few tips:-

The Dalai Lama
Nyanaponika Thera
The barista at my local Costa's
Thomas Merton
Dogen
ChuangTzu
The guy who sleeps downtown in the doorway of our local department store
Shinran
John Caputo
My grandaughter.

If you need any more, just ask.

:)

M

ManDss

Mmm... I really dont agree with that idea of "I see life in a rational way, meaning that joy are just electric impulses to my brain and all is a fantasy, bla bla bla".

I think you can be really smart and dont enjoy things because you persue things with a bigger complexity and you find all too simple.

It happens to me with music. I like music, but I almost never listen music. Most music I find sounds too simple, it tires me really quick, cant stand listen at it. And even if I want to put music as background noise, I keep my house in silent, I hate the silence and I hate the music that I listen.

Same with people, I want to talk with people but people bores me, I hate being alone but I preffer to be alone rather than talk with them.

But the word "fantasy", eughh'... Yea, its all artificial, what we like is just product of our DNA and our culture, bla bla, but not because you are too smart you gonna enter to a Nirvana where a piece of pizza just doesnt taste good.

I think that think like that is pretty toxic, and silly, its more to make an excuse to blame life. "Things are so bad for me 😥😥 I know ! 🤗 Im too smart for life 😎😎". Could be wrong.

R

rbaulbin

@ManDss
Mmm... I really dont agree with that idea of "I see life in a rational way, meaning that joy are just electric impulses to my brain and all is a fantasy, bla bla bla".

I think you can be really smart and dont enjoy things because you persue things with a bigger complexity and you find all too simple.

It happens to me with music. I like music, but I almost never listen music. Most music I find sounds too simple, it tires me really quick, cant stand listen at it. And even if I want to put music as background noise, I keep my house in silent, I hate the silence and I hate the music that I listen.

This is the essence of what I'm saying.