• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anybody else have Body Dysmorphia Disorder (BDD) ?

A

Apple pie

I can imagine that feeling of panic is very annoying. Does it feel like an adrenaline surge? I get this, am actually experiencing it atm but it's probably a little spark of hypomania from my bipolar disorder. It is not a good feeling, it's like a nervousness you'd experience when you have an exam.

So sorry the bike ride didn't help and you couldn't switch your thought off. Are you on meds? I am on seroquel which really 'stops' my thoughts from spiraling.

The driving thing and going back to work are exciting changes, I understand that makes you nervous. Ofcourse they're positive changes but still scary!
Maybe your mind wants to distract you from these things and then goes into BDD mode. That's what happens to me sometimes. When we're obsessing over our looks we can't think about those big life changes that are ahead.
Hi. Yeah constant adrenaline burning through my body! It's tiring. I'm on pregabalin, propranolol, quetiapine and mirtazapine. For the 1st couple of weeks of being on the latter 2, I felt pretty good. Then kind of gone downhill a bit and that's what panics me, cos I don't want to get to where I was at the beginning of the year! That's the scary thing.
Thanks, I think you're right, the bdd is worse when I'm worrying about other stuff. I just want to know I'll be ok at work. I'm only doing one short day to start so it should be ok. I appreciate your support and advice. Thankyou for that.

A

Apple pie

Hi. Yeah constant adrenaline burning through my body! It's tiring. I'm on pregabalin, propranolol, quetiapine and mirtazapine. For the 1st couple of weeks of being on the latter 2, I felt pretty good. Then kind of gone downhill a bit and that's what panics me, cos I don't want to get to where I was at the beginning of the year! That's the scary thing.
Thanks, I think you're right, the bdd is worse when I'm worrying about other stuff. I just want to know I'll be ok at work. I'm only doing one short day to start so it should be ok. I appreciate your support and advice. Thankyou for that.
Ah, seroquel is quetiapine! Do you mind me asking what does you're on?

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

When will you start at work? One short day is doable, but I understand your worry. If it doesn't go well, can you talk about that to your supervisor?

I'm on 300 mg of seroquel.

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

Meditation helps me but it is really easy to dissociate if you are prone to that like I am..
If I start feeling weird and not good about it, I won't force myself to sit there if I'm just going to dissociate
I recently read a comment on youtube that said "you are not your thoughts, you are the one observing the thoughts" and it changed my perspective instantly...it works for me, but that's just me

A

Apple pie

Thankyou to you both. I'm on 300mg too. I've heard that quote before flowerbox, I think it is a case of a lot of self talk, and to keep repeating mantras such as "I'm ok as I am, it's just hair etc. Obviously lockdown doesbt help because as a single parent, I'm spending a lot of time by myself!! My parents are in my bubble but there's only so much of each other we can tolerate!
My work have been really understanding luckily and are happy to go at my pace. I'm glad you're both finding things that help.

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

Yeah for me it makes me realize I am way more than this body I am in, and way more than the thoughts the brain is prone to creating..it was overwhelming to think about at first but now it's comforting...I should be nice and thankful to this body for keeping me here

A

Apple pie

Hi. I hope you've all had a good week. I've gone really downhill with my bdd this week! No particular reason, but I've always got something to worry about, and at the minute it's a fear of my hair getting messy. Where does this fear come from? It's so frustrating as I feel like my life is in hold. I've worried about my appearance for so long I fear I'll always be like this! Then I get angry and frustrated that I'm still suffering so much, and still by myself cos everything makes me panic!
Sorry for rambling, I've brought my psychiatrist appointment forward a week and going to ask if he thinks cbt will help as my funded private sessions have run out and I feel I need something that will target my specific issues more!! Having a lot of time at home by myself doesn't help.
How are you all doing? I hope I'm not draining anyone with my issues!

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

Hi Apple pie.
I'm sorry you're struggling!

I've had the hair worry too; constantly checking my fringe to see if it looks all right. It's exhausting and I understand your frustration. I have an easier haircut now, don't need to check as much anymore.

You did a good thing by bringing the appointment with your psychiatrist forward. I think cbt might be a good option.

I'm not so well either but atm it's more my mood that's all over the place due to medication changes than my BDD. For my under eye area I am trying a new product and I need to give it time before I can see any change. That is bringing me a little rest. I'm still checking every time I pass the bathroom or in the mirror in the toilet though, but I can handle that.

When will you see your psychiatrist? I hope he can help you.
Hang on in there.

A

Apple pie

Hi Apple pie.
I'm sorry you're struggling!

I've had the hair worry too; constantly checking my fringe to see if it looks all right. It's exhausting and I understand your frustration. I have an easier haircut now, don't need to check as much anymore.

You did a good thing by bringing the appointment with your psychiatrist forward. I think cbt might be a good option.

I'm not so well either but atm it's more my mood that's all over the place due to medication changes than my BDD. For my under eye area I am trying a new product and I need to give it time before I can see any change. That is bringing me a little rest. I'm still checking every time I pass the bathroom or in the mirror in the toilet though, but I can handle that.

When will you see your psychiatrist? I hope he can help you.
Hang on in there.
Thankyou for your reply. I just wear my hair up, cos after years of trying to have it down from time to time, and panicking every time it started to go frizzy (it's thick), I can't cope with it at the minute, and after years of having it up, it doesn't feel like 'me' with it down!
I'm seeing my psychiatrist on Tuesdsy. I hope you're mood picks up once your new medication kicks in xx