Any ways to prevent misdiagnosis, as a patient?

Lostinthestatic

Lostinthestatic

I had an intake appointment today and as I described my symptoms to my therapist, she brought out a bipolar assessment sheet.

After I finished filling it out, I told her that my mom and sister both were diagnosed with bipolar, but that I didn’t think I had it. Obviously I don’t really know that but, I sincerely don’t think it is the issue, or if it is, it is not the main problem. At the end of the day I trust the mental health professionals more than I trust my own judgment.

She understood, but also said that I meet criteria—on paper, I assume, because we also talked about how proper diagnosis may take some time. I have my next appointments scheduled so it’s just a matter of waiting. I am also going for a psychiatric evaluation.

So, yes, is there anything I can do on my part as a patient to prevent misdiagnosis? I try to be clear about my feelings and experiences and how others describe me, even though I don’t understand everything about myself.

L

LouiseMN

No, with psychotherapy and insight, it is possible to be well without meds. But you have to get well first before having the "guts" to contact a psychotherapist. This all takes time. Meds first most likely.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I had an intake appointment today and as I described my symptoms to my therapist, she brought out a bipolar assessment sheet.

After I finished filling it out, I told her that my mom and sister both were diagnosed with bipolar, but that I didn’t think I had it. Obviously I don’t really know that but, I sincerely don’t think it is the issue, or if it is, it is not the main problem. At the end of the day I trust the mental health professionals more than I trust my own judgment.

She understood, but also said that I meet criteria—on paper, I assume, because we also talked about how proper diagnosis may take some time. I have my next appointments scheduled so it’s just a matter of waiting. I am also going for a psychiatric evaluation.

So, yes, is there anything I can do on my part as a patient to prevent misdiagnosis? I try to be clear about my feelings and experiences and how others describe me, even though I don’t understand everything about myself.
I don't think there's really anything you can do that will 100% prevent a misdaignosis,professionals are human and do make mistakes.But I think as long as a person is completely open and honest about what they're expereincing and what their symptoms are they have a better chance of properly being diagnosed.

Lostinthestatic

Lostinthestatic

I don't think there's really anything you can do that will 100% prevent a misdaignosis,professionals are human and do make mistakes.But I think as long as a person is completely open and honest about what they're expereincing and what their symptoms are they have a better chance of properly being diagnosed.
Hmm I figured that to be the case, i assume it can be difficult to diagnose someone properly... I’ll just try to be as open and clear as I can. Thank you x

M

missme

May I make a suggestion?
I think it is helpful to write down your symptoms, so that when you have a meeting with the doctor, you can show them in writing what your are experiencing. Just an idea. Also taking a support person to the appointments really helps, because the doctor can get a broader perspective. But it would have to be someone empathetic and wanting to help, I've found in the past that the doctor would not always take on board what I would say, but if my husband came with me, even if he talked to him separately, it would give the doctor more information to be able to help me