• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Any Tips anyone?

L

Lyra

Founding Member
I thought I'd start this thread off to see if anyone has found any good ways of coping with OCD.I'm more or less stuck in the house just now as I spend so long checking that I never get out. (I'd starve without internet shopping -Tesco on line is a life saver :p )

I'd love to try CBT but all I ever get offered is medication which just doesn't seem to work. You get offered time limited sessions only here for psychological therapy and once you have been seen a few times you just get discharged so I'm really on my own.

Has anyone found anything that helps break the cycle of checking and rechecking?

Is anyone else on CPA? (I'll maybe ask this in some other threads too). How does it work where you live? I thought I'd maybe get more support when they said I was put on this but things seem to have got worse not better and I hardly ever see anyone now. Don't even have another appointment with my psychiatrist and I'm too scared to complain cos I'll just get discharged completely if I do.
Anyway -I'd be interested in finding out other peoples experiences and what you found worked for you.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Sorry i don't have any experiance with OCD.

Please chase your psychiatrist appointment up, NEVER be scared you need help and they should help.

Do you have any family/friend support ?

L

Lyra

Founding Member
No its just me and my cat.
You daren't complain or bother anyone down here - they just take it out on you, usually by making it very difficult to get any help.
I'll get my GP to write and find out what is happening - just got to get out the house to see the GP :unsure:

connect

connect

Admin
Hi Lyra :welcome:,

I don't have any experience with OCD either, but have you tried any self-help books - some of them can be really good? I had a quick look on amazon and came across this one which has been getting positive reviews:

The OCD Workbook - Your Guide to Breaking Free from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

I'm mentioning this because it would be very easy for you to get your hands on it (while you're waiting for a referral from your GP), and it's quite reasonably priced, so why not give it a try?

Let us know how you get on :grouphug:

mischief

mischief

Admin
No its just me and my cat.
Here :tea:. Its now you, your cat, and thanks to your computer all of us!! :D

If it speeds up the process to get help it might be worth ringing your GP (just call and ask to speak to them directly!) Also might be worth suggesting to your GP that you want to try talking therapies and therefore could he/she refer you to a psychologist.

Also at a guess you might qualify for some support to help you go out through social services. You could speak to your local council's social services.

The Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre publish a short self help book on OCD. It is only £2.50

Managing obsessive-compulsive disorder by David Westbrook & Norma Morrison.
A greatly revised & expanded version of the original OCD booklet, updated to include more cognitive approaches and detailed self-help advice.

Details and an order form can be found here: http://www.octc.co.uk/Book_leaflet_Nov_2007.pdf

Here are a couple of websites that you may find useful
The UK's Largest OCD Charity | OCD Action
International OCD Foundation | Home

Let us know what you've found useful and what hasn't been useful.

Great that you are here with us! (y) Even if that computer does get rather crowded!

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
Hiya I know abit about how to get out of the cycle of OCD but it takes some will power and time - I'll try to summarise but if its not clear let me know

OCD is the result of satisfying some inbuilt anxiety that if you don't do what you need to do then something will go wrong or something bad will happen.

The most used way to reduce or stop OCD is to clearly work out in you head what
1. the things are you need to do and how often until you feel calm
2. what the worst is that could happen if you do not do these things

They prescribe meds to try and reduce the anxiety associated with it but my feeling is they are not the long term solution if any solution at all.

The long term aim of the treatment is to try and reduce anxiety by 'reprogramming' the way you think.

To try and summarise in one sentance the aim I guess its abit like trying to stop smoking, cut down slowly with an aim of eventually stopping.

Try to cut down what you do either by time intervals inbetween each repetition or by stopping a cycle e.g. so if you have to wash your hands 3 times after the toilet try washing them once, leave it 5 mins, then again, leave 5 mins, then again. Then next time try to leave it 6 minutes etc and rate your anxiety on a scale of 1 to 10 inbetween. Eventually try cutting down to 2 washes and the whole time try and think whats the worst that could happen if I don't do the cycle. The purpose of the rating is to help you work out your anxiety levels and hopefully as you progress indicate when its time to make another improvement step

ITs a slow process but it does work - would love to know how you get on

L

Lyra

Founding Member
Thanks for that - I'll give it a try.
I just wish that treatment here wasn't limitied to 6 sessions - you don't get the chance to really do anything useful.

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
brill lyra good for you - keep us posted - love to know if you get any progress

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Thanks for that - I'll give it a try.
I just wish that treatment here wasn't limitied to 6 sessions - you don't get the chance to really do anything useful.
Wishing you lot's of luck :)
Keep us posted .

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
CPA

I thought I'd start this thread off to see if anyone has found any good ways of coping with OCD.I'm more or less stuck in the house just now as I spend so long checking that I never get out. (I'd starve without internet shopping -Tesco on line is a life saver :p )

I'd love to try CBT but all I ever get offered is medication which just doesn't seem to work. You get offered time limited sessions only here for psychological therapy and once you have been seen a few times you just get discharged so I'm really on my own.

Has anyone found anything that helps break the cycle of checking and rechecking?

Is anyone else on CPA? (I'll maybe ask this in some other threads too). How does it work where you live? I thought I'd maybe get more support when they said I was put on this but things seem to have got worse not better and I hardly ever see anyone now. Don't even have another appointment with my psychiatrist and I'm too scared to complain cos I'll just get discharged completely if I do.
Anyway -I'd be interested in finding out other peoples experiences and what you found worked for you.
CPA (care plan approach)is supposed to be for all. It is supposed to detail what support is available to you in different circumstances you might find your self in, who your supposed to contact and how. Supposed is the operative word here as a lot of the professionals consider it wasteful use of their time and ignore or make up their own contents. One consultant I know simply lets his patients see a copy of their last meeting with him. Now that is a waste of time for the patient, consultant and his secretary who I presume types it.

I walked away from my last user group as they decided that I must try and get advance directives put on to care plans, which if adopted would have resulted in a lot of medical staff refusing to get involved with a care plan and the patient losing out.

C

charlie

Founding Member
Hi Lyra.I've recently moverd to Lincolnshire and have had nothing but problems getting help since I got here so its not just you. I was used to a lot of support, a named CPN, a psychiatrist I saw weekly, but have had little support since I got here and like you am feeling a bit abandoned and lost. I was on CPA where I lived before but don't even seem to be on that here.Its a bit scary isn't it. Sounds like its the norm here though - I thought maybe it was just me.

L

Lyra

Founding Member
Thanks folks for your input. I had a look on our mental health trusts web site for their info on CPA and its a good laugh if nothing else. It sounds really good and would really raise your hopes with all the promises on it about how it should work. Its just a pity its all for show and they don't actually do anything on it. It certainly bears little if any resemblance to how it works with me.

I'm glad its not just me that has problems getting help Charlie (well - I don't mean I'm glad your not getting help- I really wish you were) just that I thought maybe they didn't like me and that was why they weren't helping - as you say its obviously just the norm here - its just not a good service.

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Thanks folks for your input. I had a look on our mental health trusts web site for their info on CPA and its a good laugh if nothing else. It sounds really good and would really raise your hopes with all the promises on it about how it should work. Its just a pity its all for show and they don't actually do anything on it. It certainly bears little if any resemblance to how it works with me.

I'm glad its not just me that has problems getting help Charlie (well - I don't mean I'm glad your not getting help- I really wish you were) just that I thought maybe they didn't like me and that was why they weren't helping - as you say its obviously just the norm here - its just not a good service.
Just keep plugging at your Cpn for a care plan, and don't take no for an answer. It is your right to have one. Google'care plan approach in mental health' there is a wealth of info out there. Good Luck :clap: :hug:

L

Lyra

Founding Member
Well I'm getting no where fast - I left a message for someone to phone me - in fact have now left 4 messages and no-one has got back to me.
I'm totally abandoned now - just waiting to see my GP and will ask him to try and contact someone for me but no appointment free with him for three and half weeks.

I really don't know why they bother putting me on CPA - its just one big waste of time.

To make things worse the trust are bragging all over the place that a leaflet they made up about CPA was given an award by the CPAA http://www.cpaa.org.uk/

Why do these places not actually check that the trust is doing what is in the leaflet before giving them awards. A leaflet is usless unless what is written in it happens.

M

mac

Founding Member
Hi Lyra

I'm in lincs too - CPA - don't make me laugh - I'm expected to follow it but they don't!!!
Biggest waste of time they make it up as they go along and as long as it looks good in writing , they just don't do anything on it.