Any success with supplements/Amino Acids?

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Many of us try to get our life back without resorting to medications. It takes long and exhausting experiments. Just the patience part of it and waiting to see results is stressful by all means. It’s worth it if guaranteed. It’s also safer than taking medications then having to deal with withdrawal symptoms. I was so stressed out about withdrawal symptoms even before started taking Escitalopram. I had to google search and watch YouTube videos with hesitation that I should be careful about starting these medication.

In October of last year I had one of the worst episodes of Panic Attacks and Anxiety in my journey with MH struggles. It was so bad to the point I only weighted 116 pounds/ 52.6 kilograms.

During that time, I had very bad insomnia going 2-3 days without even a little nap. It was was very frustrating, irritating. I knew that the cause of my insomnia was anxiety so in order to get sleep I have to treat my anxiety first.

I tried vitamins, L-theinine, GABA, Valarian Root, and other stuff that I can’t even remember and the results were no difference. I know going this route needs time but I took them for over a month and a half with zero improvement.

-Has anyone tried this method and improved his MH?

-If so, what combination of vitamins and amino acids helped?

-How long did it take to notice improvements?

-Did you take it along with medication?

Sorry for lengthy post but I really appreciate any information.

Thanks

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

One of the amino acids made me manic.

I also tried fish oil which was said to control bipolar but all it did was give me an upset colon.

The lithium was helpful. It does have side effects.

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Thank you @Poopy Doll

I live in a very cold area with little to no sun during winter. I am on Vitamin D and Omega 3 (Fish oil) supplement.
I read many articles about magnesium and multi B vitamins being very essential for relaxing and good mood.

Even my doctors( I have 3 doctors) who told me about how important magnesium is but I have to take it with heavy meals and no milk because calcium prevents the absorption of magnesium. Magnesium citrate and magnesium cellulite can interact with antidepressants.

I am doing all this in hopes of getting off of medications. I am doing very good with Escitalopram but it makes me emotionless 😐. Especially today, I felt my mind was foggy. It’s just a weird feeling.
I hope I will find the perfect combination to help with my depression and anxiety.

Don’t you think we, as a community on this forum, should do our own research and gather information about supplements and their side effects and interactions with mental health medications?
It would be a great project that will benefit all of us.

Thanks again and I appreciate your time.

A

Alladyn1919

I have had some success for major depression with supplements.In fact I'm still on supplements ,having switched from prescription medication to supplements about 4 years ago.
Though I wouldn't like to share my story and encourage anybody to do thge same for several reasons.
Supplements , as far as I know, are not regulated by proper authorities so there might be some risk involved in taking them, they may be probably more dangerous than regular chemistry drugs in terms of something unexpected might happen, some contaminated batch,some unusual adverse reaction,etc, don't know, though probably there is a lot of exaggeration in such warnings.So I wouldn't like to do any harm to anybody in that respect by sharing encouraging experiences.
There is also a question about effectiveness.After some trial and errors processes I found supplements which happen to be fairly effective, or kind of sufficiently effective.But I am so called partial responder to regular medication.No various antidepressants produced great success just substantial improvement some of them.So in fact, as for me I'm not sure what was more effective drugs or supplements, it probably depends for what aspects of depression, but I'm not sure.I am eagerly waiting to try new antidepressants which are supposed to come soon.But now it makes probably no sense to me returning to existing antidepresants.
But for somebody else it may be a different story.For him/her there may be already an antidepressant which would produce full lasting remission and it would be sad if such a person would got bogged down in just partially effective and risky supplements due to my experienmces.Though to tell the truth I experienced much less kind of evident adverse reactions from effective supplements than from medication.Don't know about some hidden damage to some organs, some problems likely to develope etc
B complex vit I can recommend for depression.Based on my long experience with various substances I am absolutely sure that it is slightly but evidently effective for major depression.It doesn't make much difference on its own but effective it is.I'm not sure about other vitamins, vit d I would term as probably effective for me, though I can take only a small dose due to side effectsAs to other supplements I may anser some questions if asked without recommending taking those supplements.

Alladyn1919