• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Any positives from having depression?

J

justabloke

Former member
This question came to mind this morning.

I'm out of work so I applied for a role. Because I have depression and disclosed this when asked, I now have to also have an Occupational Health check, which is another hassle, and potential stumbling block to my successful application.

At the moment I'm on a seemingly never-ever waiting list for a community mental health team.

I wondered - shouldn't I receive something positive for having depression at some point? Thus far in my life the bulk of experiences have been negative.

The only positive I can think of is more empathy toward others, but that does not really help me financially/career/etc.

S

sunlilies

Former member
I can't really think of anything positive. I guess it just made me more open minded when it comes to mental illness. But it's mostly just a burden and I'm tired of the stereotypes surrounding mental illness. I don't like it when people view me as 'crazy' for having a mental illness, and when doctors won't listen to me. I'm tired of being too depressed to get out of bed and having thoughts about suicide or self harm. I wish I was healthy. It feels like mental illness took my life away from me.

J

justabloke

Former member
I can't really think of anything positive. I guess it just made me more open minded when it comes to mental illness. But it's mostly just a burden and I'm tired of the stereotypes surrounding mental illness. I don't like it when people view me as 'crazy' for having a mental illness, and when doctors won't listen to me. I'm tired of being too depressed to get out of bed and having thoughts about suicide or self harm. I wish I was healthy. It feels like mental illness took my life away from me.
Yep. I feel regret when I think about all the wasted time as well.

BadWolf10

BadWolf10

I find that I understand myself and the way my mind works (or doesn't haha) much better. I can recognise when I am about to enter a big dip, rather than it coming as a huge shock.

I sometimes get a bit more creative too on down days. but I am clutching at straws and I would rather not have it

jajingna

jajingna

Funny enough, I just saw this same question asked yesterday on quora:

S

StillDepressed

Any positives from having depression?

No, simply none and yet we have to get on and make the most of it

M

Marianda

I don't think there is anything positive about depression. It's an insidious illness that steals happiness and fullfilment of your life . Moreover we need to pretend everything is fine to fit into society.

J

justabloke

Former member
It is interesting to hear other people's views.

I've filled out the multi-page occupational health assessment (Apparently they now need to speak with me as well...!). Part of me says I should have have just said no when asked if I took medication/have a health condition but society is punitive on dishonest as well. Can't win. Oh well, one foot in front of the other!

NoNameRequired

NoNameRequired

Self-awareness. Have you seen those middle-aged, bald and fat men trying to call the attention of pretty young girls? They lack self-awareness, if they realized what they were then they would be too ashamed to be seen outside. Depression makes you realize that, so that is a good thing.

M

Misssad1111

I see no positives to being depressed. Some people don’t eat much when they’re depressed so that’s a positive

S

SadRainbow

Former member
Why do you feel you *should* benefit from depression? There are plenty of diseases and disabilities, or just downright awful situations people are in, where they suffer their whole lives. *Should* is irrelevant. I don't mean to sound mean saying that, just that unfortunately many people are simply unfortunate enough to suffer with depression (or any other unpleasant thing).

T

turnitoffandonagain_again

Why do you feel you *should* benefit from depression? There are plenty of diseases and disabilities, or just downright awful situations people are in, where they suffer their whole lives. *Should* is irrelevant. I don't mean to sound mean saying that, just that unfortunately many people are simply unfortunate enough to suffer with depression (or any other unpleasant thing).

That's a fair point.

I suppose, though, one could wonder why it is that we have evolved the capacity to suffer from depression at all. What's the benefit in terms of genes, if one assumes there is a genetic factor involved? Possibly it's a side-effect of other traits that on their own are helpful? The possibility of developoing depression might be the price we pay for the benefits of being able to think about things in a way that can also lead to depression. Maybe?

J

justabloke

Former member
It is a good question! It feels to me (rightly or wrongly) that there is an injustice because I have this (with all the downsides) but gain nothing tangible from it. You're probably right in that there is no 'should' but it feels like there should be?

S

SadRainbow

Former member
That's a fair point.

I suppose, though, one could wonder why it is that we have evolved the capacity to suffer from depression at all. What's the benefit in terms of genes, if one assumes there is a genetic factor involved? Possibly it's a side-effect of other traits that on their own are helpful? The possibility of developoing depression might be the price we pay for the benefits of being able to think about things in a way that can also lead to depression. Maybe?
There are some arguments for an evolutionary benefit to depression because it's so very prevalent in human populations but I haven't found any of what I've read convincing 🤷🏻‍♀️

S

SadRainbow

Former member
It is a good question! It feels to me (rightly or wrongly) that there is an injustice because I have this (with all the downsides) but gain nothing tangible from it. You're probably right in that there is no 'should' but it feels like there should be?
You're right that it's really unfair. It sucks. So far I have found nothing positive in my own depression.