• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Any older people who have struggled for decades with depression, anxiety and anger?

C

Cookingartist

I feel like I have a hole inside that I can only temporarily -- and rarely -- fill. Very lonely, in a society where that's taboo.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello cookingartist and welcome to the forum. I have been mentally ill since the age of 5. I am so sorry you are in a society were mental illness is taboo. You will find a lot of support here.

C

Cookingartist

Thank you! I think the taboo for me is the loneliness -- but it's true, mental illness is a taboo, too. Do you have techniques that help you? I have some, but they are of limited use.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think it can kind of feel embarrassing to say you feel lonely. I know I have felt that way. I have now realised it is really common and so many other people feel lonely. For me I read, have a bubble bath, listen to the radio, watch a programme, watch my fish swimming. I like to distract myself. Have you ever had any treatment for the mental health issues?

C

Cookingartist

Yes, bpd2020, enormous amounts of therapy, but I've never been able to really heal. Considering medication again, but not convinced it will make that much of a difference. Seems to be my default setting -- my therapist calls it dysthymia.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes, bpd2020, enormous amounts of therapy, but I've never been able to really heal. Considering medication again, but not convinced it will make that much of a difference. Seems to be my default setting -- my therapist calls it dysthymia.
I am so sorry you have never been able to heal. I do think it is worth trying another medication. It took me years to find an antidepressant that did not give me terrible side effects. It helps to take the edge of the depression.

C

Cookingartist

Yeah, you may be right. I'll discuss it with my therapist. How has medication helped you, if it's okay to ask?

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sure you can ask. An antidepressant helps me by taking the edge of my depression and it stops it from dipping too low.

C

Cookingartist

That's what I thought. "Sunny England" is employed ironically?