• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Any methods of distraction from intrusive thoughts that lead to self-harm?

MiniThoughts

MiniThoughts

I hate that every time I wake up in the morning, all my head does is think pessimistically. Then I end up breaking down, and eventually, hurting myself. I used to read novels to distract myself, but it doesn’t seem to be enough now. Any suggestions?

Fairy Fountain

Fairy Fountain

You can listen to music. I did that yesterday when I felt like self harming. I think what helps the most is talking to someone. Is there anyone you can speak to? If not, a lot of people on this forum will help so you can talk to us. I hope you feel better soon.

Miho

Miho

What comes to mind is perhaps audio books? That might be a way to distract your mind with the focus on what they are saying?

L

Lostlady333

I hate that every time I wake up in the morning, all my head does is think pessimistically. Then I end up breaking down, and eventually, hurting myself. I used to read novels to distract myself, but it doesn’t seem to be enough now. Any suggestions?
Could you write some positive affirmations on pieces of paper or post it notes and put them in places that you’ll see. There are lots on pintrist. Or have favourite songs ready to play on your phone. Or maybe change your routine slightly so you are distracted.

MiniThoughts

MiniThoughts

You can listen to music. I did that yesterday when I felt like self harming. I think what helps the most is talking to someone. Is there anyone you can speak to? If not, a lot of people on this forum will help so you can talk to us. I hope you feel better soon.
Now that you've mentioned that, I'll listen to some music while I'm playing a mobile game. And I'll see if I can reach out to my friends in real life. Actually, I've contacted most of them online, but they're offline. Plus, the lockdown has made it more difficult for me to visit them. Anyways, thank you for the suggestions, and I'll try to distract myself as much as possible.

MiniThoughts

MiniThoughts

What comes to mind is perhaps audio books? That might be a way to distract your mind with the focus on what they are saying?
I haven't tried audiobooks, so I'll include that to the list of things that I'll do to distract myself. Thanks.

MiniThoughts

MiniThoughts

Could you write some positive affirmations on pieces of paper or post it notes and put them in places that you’ll see. There are lots on pintrist. Or have favourite songs ready to play on your phone. Or maybe change your routine slightly so you are distracted.
Alright, I’ll do that as well. Thank you.

S

StillDepressed

I tend to play games, Football Manager on the PC is my current go to. But for not football lovers any addictive game on your phone... Candy Crush for example.

Also I plan round the world trips taking in all the sites I may want to see, actually searching flights, hotels and restaurants that I would use while I am there and even checking what visas I would require. I usually have an unlimited budget, after all it's never going to happen.

But this is just me wasting time, just so the self-harm thoughts have less time to play with

MiniThoughts

MiniThoughts

Thank you for the suggestion. I like that you plan to travel around the world. I’m actually planning to do that in the future. But for now, I’ll stick to gaming to escape from my toxic mind; I miss playing Candy Crush. I’ll download it today.

Miho

Miho

How are you doing? Did you try some of the things people said? I hope you are ok.

C

Comfort23

I hope you are doing ok today. I find audio books helpful too. My local library has a website/app where I can download audio books for free. I found one on mental health called You are not a rock, which has some useful exercises from someone who struggled with OCD/anxiety/depression. I've found that stuff like singing along to music or reading a little bit of a novel out loud may help fully engage the mind. Or taking up a new hobby like learning a new language or at least a little bit of a new language.