• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Any Medications The Body Doesn't Get Dependent On?

H

Hopeful1s

I'm 42 and I've struggled with depression all my life. I fought it every step of the way, but no matter what I do, I can't shake it.

I tried going on Celexa years back, but it was pointless. After about 6-10mos or so, my body just became dependent on the medication, where I felt the same on the medication as I did prior to ever even going on it, even at max dosage. Coming off of it was an absolute nightmare, as the depression was nearly unbearable for months afterward.

With that said, I was wondering if anyone is aware of any medications where your body doesn't become dependent on it long-term? Not sure if any exist or not, but figured I'd ask.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
We have so-called herbal antidepressants here. In Germany the doctors prescribe st john's wort which shows how strong it actually is. I don't know how series your depression is but it is sold in our health shops.

There are many interactions with medication, especially herbal, so check you can take them alongside any other medication

All medicines are difficult to come off of usually because you will have a return of symptoms. My symptoms rush back. People say this is dependency, but doctor's will say not. I personally think some of us need medication. I cope on the least amount possible.

H

Hopeful1s

Thanks for the feedback, but I already know the same issues happen from St. John's Wort.

As far as dependency, when I came off the antidepressant, my depression was so significant that there is absolutely no denying my body became dependent on the Celexa. The depression I experienced for the next 2-3mos was far, FAR worse than it ever was prior to taking the Celexa. The fact that my body adapted to the Celexa and became dependent on it was undeniable.

I'm thinking no matter what you take, it's going to cause receptor downgrade over time and result in the same issue.

A

arthormarus98

I'm afraid of disappointing, but I think I have to validate your assertion that, when a human body ingests a chemical over a significant period of time, damage occurs. Psych meds by definition are those that aim at and hit the brain in distinct ways, affecting mood, behavior, memory, everything. Even if it were only a matter of enduring "mental" withdrawal symptoms, to separate them from "physical" withdrawals is imprecise: with thought, perception, and mood all being rooted in and reliant on the chemical composition of the brain, one might well claim that there are NO withdrawal symptoms that aren't initially physical. Or, at the least, originating in physical factors. Which is just to say, factors which the mind alone can't conquer or rebuke, not by the power of its own virtue. Likewise, a human "heart" (emotional brain) cannot FEEL its way out of a painful experience. The mind has to think the heart through, or the body must drag the heart to a more peaceful, desirable state. To belabor the point, I can't THINK my body into a new way of ACTING, any more so than I can EMOTE my way into a perfect handstand, and there aren't enough push-ups in all of existence that, upon completion, would allow me to grasp the math behind the movements of planets and stars and all the other celestial bodies. To offer the bastardized oversimplification: "Ya can't fit a square peg through a round hole."

Don't give up. Life isn't perfect by far, but it can get better :)

H

Hopeful1s

Thanks for the encouragement.

The only reason I think there might at least be a few different medications out there that the body doesn't just get used to is there are some chemicals that can refresh receptors and prevent downgrade. If something that prevents receptor downgrade is used in conjunction with something that triggers those receptors, it can (in theory) allow you to take that medication indefinitely without the body just adapting to it. I'm just not personally aware of any medications that function this way.

There are also some instances where certain receptors don't suffer from receptor downgrade no matter how much they are triggered. So, could they exist? Yes. But, if they did, I'm honestly at a bit of a loss as to why doctors wouldn't just prescribe those ones instead of the ones they know are just a temporary band-aid.