• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Any ideas why my meds are not working?

• Thread starter Connorisnotokay
  • Start date
Connorisnotokay

Connorisnotokay

I have been on mirtazapine 30mg once at night since the start of January, I have been on duloxitine 60mg since February, I have been on quetiapine 300mg since March 15th. Does any one have ideas as to why my depression and anxiety seem so resistant this time? I feel this time it’s deeper, like my illness has a much stronger foundation to it. All these meds and my illness hasn’t improved at all the way I feel. I know it’s only early days for the quetiapine to build up, but the antidepressants should make me feel a bit better, surely?

Thanks for any replies.

Victorianna

Victorianna

Is there something about your depression/anxiety that is different this time? For example, is/did something happen to trigger it, and it is still happening, or upsetting you?

Connorisnotokay

Connorisnotokay

Is there something about your depression/anxiety that is different this time? For example, is/did something happen to trigger it, and it is still happening, or upsetting you?
I have chronic depression and anxiety which has been managed before with only one antidepressant. More recently my depression and anxiety have been building higher and higher. With all these meds I’m on I am confused as to why it’s so hard to treat me this time.

Victorianna

Victorianna

I assume you’ve been talking to your doctor, since they keep upping the meds you’re taking. Is your anxiety a problem, or is it mainly depression?
I have both, and when anxiety is high, antidepressants don’t work on it. Everyone is different, though.

Connorisnotokay

Connorisnotokay

I assume you’ve been talking to your doctor, since they keep upping the meds you’re taking. Is your anxiety a problem, or is it mainly depression?
I have both, and when anxiety is high, antidepressants don’t work on it. Everyone is different, though.
My problem is more anxiety. It’s hard because there aren’t many medications for anxiety, which will actually help. I know about benzos, but I don’t want to get addicted to them. I have recently heard of pregabalin which looks good, but I think that it may be addictive also.

BetaMale

BetaMale

In my experience, a high dose of the antipsychotic can tend to block the effect of the antidepressant.

Victorianna

Victorianna

Xanax is bad for constant anxiety, since it wears off quickly. I take Klonopin twice a day, and it’s helped tremendously.
But, yeah, it’s a benzo. I’ve been on it two months, and now I’m starting to slowly taper off. Haven’t had any problems so far. I figure I’ll deal with any that come up, but the anxiety was unbearable, so I was willing to risk taking it.