• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

???Any Ideas--Diagnoses???

C

crystal85301

SITUATION---
PATIENT---5yr old girl.....biological mom used street drugs while pregnant.....grandma adopted child at birth....
NOW----Developmental Pediatrician said child is gifted but apathetic----she speaks her mind regardless of how her words make others feel....she shows no remorse after hurting someone or something.....she is EXTREMELY defiant towards.authority figures.....sleep schedule thrown off.....EXTREMELY talkative & hyperactive.....appears to not care about anyone or anything.....
CURRENT DIAGNOSIS---MEDS
Bipolar Disorder
?? Med + Trileptal + Tenex
????????ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ABOUT WHAT THIS CHILD MIGHT HAVE & HOW HER GRANDMA SHOULD HANDLE HER?????????

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Wait. Let me see whether I have read this right.

A 5 year old has had Bipolar placed on them and is on meds?

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

FriendsAreFriends

FriendsAreFriends

I myself was/am bipolar 1 and have recovered from terrible anger, verbal anger etc.

Looking back I do believe it was strickt behavioral boundaries combined with empathy that made me well in the hospital.

I think the grandma should talk to experts in behavioral therapy.

I am by no means educated to give any advice in this matter, so I hope my experiance at least to offer some hope... As an adult I needed 2 admissions each for 3 months to get well.

I wish all the best for the child and family.

Kenneth.

Last edited:
SarahD

SarahD

Hi crystal

I would say avoid drugs as much as you can. They can have very bad effects on adults, and no one knows what the long term effects will be on children.

I would look for someone who does therapy with children. Or find someone to help her with her intellectual ability - you say she is gifted. If you can find someone who can build a rapport with her while helping her develop interests and stretch her abilities, that could help her develop self esteem and build her sense of self, which should help her relate more easily with others. I don't know how easy or,possible any of this is, or what is available in your area.

Sorry - not sure any of this is helpful.

Kerome

Kerome

Well, I'd be very much against any child of mine being placed on psychiatric medicine at that age. It just seems abnormal and must be influencing her brain development.

As for how to cope with her, with a lot of love I think. It must be hard not to have your natural mother around, and so extra emphasis is going to be placed on the surrogate. Be firm but very loving.

And I'd take her off the meds and to see a good child psychologist, to deal with the authority issues.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Crystal, as a mother who has brought two children up to adulthood, I can assure you that no 5 year old has a psychiatric condition equivalent to an adult. She is anti authority? Normal for most 5 year olds. She need firm boundaries, rules and affection. Please, please stop now with pathologising a child so young.

No she doesn't need meds! She may have some behavioural difficulties due to street drugs whilst she was in the womb, but at 5 those should be sorted out with good help. Medications on a small growing child can do untold harm to a growing brain! Stop looking for problems and find someone good who can help with her behaviour.

A star chart can work wonders. I had a daughter who would kick, spit, thump, bite (you get the picture), all the time at 5. She wasn't ill, she was very naughty! So I started a star chart and told her that she got a red star every day for good behaviour, and if she kept it up she got a gold star at the end of the week and a present. No, it didn't cure her overnight, but with strong sanctions (eg take her favourite toy away for a few hours), and the 'naughty' step, she slowly, very slowly, learned that there were consequences for her behaviour.

I also went into school in the day, and the teachers said that I wasn't to talk to her, but help another child in the class. Me turning up unexpectedly, and her seeing me, also reinforced that Mummy was there and wouldn't let her get away with murder. She got the message and it was a nightmare initially. You have to follow through with any threat of discipline - no not being aggressive, the opposite in fact, calm but assertive no nonsense approach.

Don't panic, children aren't the sweet, little angels we all hope to have. My son? No problems, but she was a different personality. I actually loved her vibrancy. Don't label her, and don't talk about her behaviour in front of her, what ever happens - she will be listening even if she doesn't appear to be, and she will behave as she thinks you want her to. A child reflects her environment, so look at your own ways of handling her - and that is not a criticism - but ask yourself those painful questions. "What am I doing that she responds this way?"

They say, remove the toy for as many minutes as she is years, so 5 minutes. But I would increase that rapidly. Even if she isn't playing with that toy, trust me, she will want it if you tell her she can't have it! Don't try to reason with a 5 year old. Yes, tell her that you want a "sorry" and state what she has done wrong so she understands. Don't say that she is not good, but that her way of acting is not good.

Take care and please calm down.

Last edited:
calypso

calypso

Admin
You might have to reinforce your discipline over and over again initially. She will get the message that mummy isn't budging and mummy is in charge, not the 5 year old. Children are actually frightened if they are not given strong boundaries, and so act out with anger and naughtiness. They want you to impose those boundaries, it makes them feel safer. And NO she isn't bipolar! She's 5.