• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Any happy schizophrenics ?

T

Twylight

I was just wondering if there are any happy schizophrenics

Just curious ?

A

Apotheosis

Good question.

What is happiness?

Schizophrenia has been described as a nonspecific disease by the psychiatric profession. This supposedly devastating condition was originally named by the German psychiatrist Emil Kraepelin (1856-1926). Kraepelin believed that the condition involved an irreversible mental deterioration and coined the term 'dementia praecox' - Latin for 'prematurely out of one's mind'. It later became clear that the term was a misnomer and a new term was coined in 1910 by Swiss psychiatrist Eugen Bleuler (1857-1939) who was noted for his kindness and humanity. Bleuler was the teacher of Carl Jung and professor of psychiatry at the University of Zürich where he headed the famous Burghölzli Clinic. Since the condition seemed to involve a mental split between thought and emotion, Bleuler coined the term 'schizophrenia' for 'splitting of the mind'. The term is derived from German 'schizophrenie' from Greek 'skhizein' meaning 'to split' and 'phren' of unknown origin meaning 'heart or mind'. According to Greek etymology, ‘schizophrenia’actually means 'broken soul' or 'broken heart’

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

Yes, there are moments when I feel content

I think I'll always feel a little disturbed

I'm sometimes engrossed in a project - but never quite happy
Yes, same for me too. Never quite seem able to fully switch off & properly relax. The most I get is moments of contentment.

N

Napolean Today

Yes, same for me too. Never quite seem able to fully switch off & properly relax. The most I get is moments of contentment.

The point of a spiritual awakening is to achieve contentment. Happiness is a hedonistic state and like being smug not very pleasant for others. Ever felt low about the state of the world? staring the tiger in the face and had to put up with some over-optimistic gibbering fool? I'll pass on being happy but I'll take contentment. Like a sustainable economy it is difficult to achieve contentment but happiness is a cancerous state of mind that always seeks to expand its territory.....and is ultimately destructive as it becomes a end in itself & pure hedonism.

T

Twylight

Last Tuesday I had a slovenly sleepy day - where i was in and out of bed all day
That night I chopped my 10mg tablet in half and on the following wednesday I was bright as a button:
I collected an electric guitar on the bus from a friends house, went in town and bought some parts - repaired two guitars - cooked a meal -cleaned the flat - it was a wonderfull day
Common sense told me to go back to the 10mg tablet that night and when i woke on the Thursday I felt horrid
A friend of mine summed up in a word what being on medication is like - the word is 'shitty'
Yes you've guessed it! - last night I chopped the tablet in half and as you can see, i'm on my computer early - instead of the usual 2 hours of chain smoking - trying to pull my thoughts together - I feel bright

I think I can be happpy one day a week

sallyG

sallyG

I get moments to each day where i feel content..but mostly i feel troubled. My Medication makes me feel like a zombie most of the time..im unable to get motivated..it takes a great deal of concentration to get anything done..just normal mundane tasks like housework can take me hours..i do eventually get things done because i know i have to. but the lack of motivation is so annoying.I havent found that on other antipyschotics , only on Risperidone

M

maudikie

Maudikie.

Everyone has their ups and downs in life. The difference between a "fed up£ depression and bi-polar depression is a much greater swing between the feelings. The ups and downs of clinical depression (bi-polar) are directed by the brain structure, and are an illness, The fed up derpession is a simple reaction to outside circumstances which pass, or which the person has he ability to adjust to. Grief usually passes with time, and if it is an inevitable event which has caused the grief, this can be accepted with time. It usually brings synmpathy and care from family and friends.who can be a great comfort.
Clinical depression on the other hand is a medical condition which can be relieved by medical treatment, and added support from friends or professionals.
Rehabilitaation can help alongside medical care.
Sometimes it is difficult for people to let go of bad experience or loss, and ability to "move on" is particularly difficult.

P

Paranoid MisterE

I get days where i am content as well, usually when the weekend comes round and its socially acceptable to drink but recently my drinking has become more of a problem. On the whole i would say im not that happy though.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i feel content sometimes which is longer lasting than happy, i also feel i'm dependent on benefits and dependent on services to get those benefits which in turn require you to moan a lot

Before some one calls me a malingerer the bottom line is on meds i'm not fit for work and no shrink is suggesting i stop them