• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Any good depression meds out there?

Agatha

Agatha

I have been on many depresson meds and none have helped me much. my derpession is psychotic now as I am at my end. I have thought of ending it all but I have my pet family to take care of so that won't do now. I take trazadone to sleep and melatonin to sleep too but I need a new anti depressant.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
We could say what worked or didn't work for us but different medications work for different people in different ways.

I have had....

Citalopram - Made me instantly suicidal from the very first pill. Stuck with it for 4-5 weeks until the docs figured it wouldn't stop.

Mirtazapine- Worked extremely well for me at 30 mg at first. 15 and 45 didn't work at all. After about 9 months to a year it had stopped working for me, except from sleep, 30 did wonders for it. It also made me go up nearly 3 dress sizes which was the main reason why I came off it.

Sertraline- It just was bad for me. Made me a very angry person, mucked up my sleep totally (which is totally not me) and made me a hell of a lot worse. Stuck with it for longer than I should of.

I'm am now on Vex and it's early days but so far, so good :)

As I said before they all work different for different people. You may go through nearly all of them until you find the one that helps you :) Sometimes you will find that not taking medication is the best thing for you.

Also medication isn't going to make everything better, it's only part of it.

Marliee x

Silver

Silver

If you are psychotic are you not in hospital and therefore having your medication decided by your psychiatrist there?

Or if not in hospital do you not have the home treatment team coming out to you, and therefore prescribing your meds that way?

I find it strange that you are capable of discussing medication whilst psychotic.

Agatha

Agatha

We could say what worked or didn't work for us but different medications work for different people in different ways.

I have had....

Citalopram - Made me instantly suicidal from the very first pill. Stuck with it for 4-5 weeks until the docs figured it wouldn't stop.

Mirtazapine- Worked extremely well for me at 30 mg at first. 15 and 45 didn't work at all. After about 9 months to a year it had stopped working for me, except from sleep, 30 did wonders for it. It also made me go up nearly 3 dress sizes which was the main reason why I came off it.

Sertraline- It just was bad for me. Made me a very angry person, mucked up my sleep totally (which is totally not me) and made me a hell of a lot worse. Stuck with it for longer than I should of.

I'm am now on Vex and it's early days but so far, so good :)

As I said before they all work different for different people. You may go through nearly all of them until you find the one that helps you :) Sometimes you will find that not taking medication is the best thing for you.

Also medication isn't going to make everything better, it's only part of it.

Marliee x
Thanks for your input. Yes, certain meds work for some and don't work for others. And yes, medication alone doesn't cure a person. I'm starting to read a book on depression and I also have a counselor. I'm not that crazy about my counselor. Thinking of changing to another mental health facility. What is Vex? Is that the full name of the med?

Last edited:
Agatha

Agatha

If you are psychotic are you not in hospital and therefore having your medication decided by your psychiatrist there?

Or if not in hospital do you not have the home treatment team coming out to you, and therefore prescribing your meds that way?

I find it strange that you are capable of discussing medication whilst psychotic.
I find it weird that you are questioning me like I am a liar!

Last edited:
Silver

Silver

I find it weird that you are questioning me like I am a liar!
That is defensive and incorrect.

I'm was saying i don't understand why you aren't in hospital or with the home treatment team, and that they should be sorting your medication. Anti depressants alone will not treat psychotic depression. Perhaps i am finding it hard that with psychotic depression you can still read too. Are you in hospital?