• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Any good books on hearing voices?

Daybreak

Daybreak

Like how to deal with them when they won't shut up and when they command you to do things? Actually can you recommend anything on hearing voices?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
There's a book called 'Hearing Voices: A Common Human Experience' by John Watkins that reportedly has 20 ways to cope with voices.

I bought the book but didn't get past chapter one yet.

Another book that I've read from cover to cover is 'Living with Voices - 50 Stories of Recovery' by Prof Marius Romme et al.

But when dealing with commanding voices the only thing you can really do is apply willpower, the more you do what they say the more they will command you, I treat mine like a naughty child, I reinforce positive behaviour and punish bad.

The more he behaves the more I take on his suggestions on what to do as long as those suggestions are within reason and don't break my code of ethics, the more he misbehaves the less I listen to him. If he wants to be a part of my life he has to do it on my terms or not at all.

As far as not shutting up goes mine hardly ever stops talking or singing but my medication turns his volume down to a more bearable level, like turning the volume on a stereo down from 10 to 1. They took all the stress out of hearing him.

John Lamb

John Lamb

I believe voices are spirits particularly in my experience and as a Christian I found the Good Book especially good for understanding the duality of voices and how to deal with them. For ignoring commands the Temptation of Christ which you can look up on wikipedia shows just how to do that.

After reading the NT from cover to cover following an awakening and then practising what it preached I attained peace. After a year one morning lying in bed I felt an 'energy' leave my forehead and I've felt better ever since.

I am not proselytising in case anyone thinks that, just stating fact from my own experience in the effort it may help someone and I won't mind being ignored.

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Books on hearing voices Hearing Voices Forum 3
Mr.NiceGuy Ghosts can read books in your room in a second Hearing Voices Forum 6
D Sharing, free books maybe! Hearing Voices Forum 5
nenexx Hearing phrases/thoughts in head falling asleep. Hearing Voices Forum 2
K My 10 year old is hearing voices Hearing Voices Forum 4
O hearing voices only when stressed, extremly anxious etc Hearing Voices Forum 3
stevie_sloth Hearing random words / sentences in my head that aren't my thoughts Hearing Voices Forum 7
B Is this hearing voices ? Hearing Voices Forum 4
soulsearcher keep hearing things, driving me mad (auditory hallucinations) Hearing Voices Forum 16
kind_recording Hearing Name Hearing Voices Forum 6
B Hearing creepy voices Hearing Voices Forum 5
nenexx Fear of HEARING voices Hearing Voices Forum 34
T E_90 Does this mean hearing voices? I would just like clarification Hearing Voices Forum 5
R Poor services for Hearing Voices Hearing Voices Forum 4
A Hearing voiced Hearing Voices Forum 1
A I have been hearing voices since 9 years Hearing Voices Forum 6
R Hearing music. Hearing Voices Forum 4
O Hearing Voices Hearing Voices Forum 23
A Hearing ringing or hearing humain voices? Hearing Voices Forum 8
LORD BURT Is hearing voices really an illness? Hearing Voices Forum 12
V Hearing voices Hearing Voices Forum 4
N My Story of Hearing Voices for 2 Years Hearing Voices Forum 34
2 Bipolar hearing things? Hearing Voices Forum 3
D Hearing voices Hearing Voices Forum 3
Takingmybrain Where? External voices hearing Hearing Voices Forum 1
Beeboy I’m hearing a voice in my head that is commenting on what i do. Hearing Voices Forum 6
v01ce5 Understanding Voices: What is hearing voices? Hearing Voices Forum 3
S Hearing voices to much Hearing Voices Forum 9
O Hearing voices groups? Hearing Voices Forum 1
B New to Hearing Voices After Traumatic Exp Hearing Voices Forum 3
I Help with hearing voices Hearing Voices Forum 3
hORIzonFINK210 Being in touch instead of hearing voices Hearing Voices Forum 1
T Am I hearing voices or hearing myself? Hearing Voices Forum 8
D hearing voices inside of my mind and outside from points which there is no person Hearing Voices Forum 2
C Psychosis and hearing voices Hearing Voices Forum 18
R How many years have you been hearing voices for. Hearing Voices Forum 46
S Hearing something else? Hearing Voices Forum 10
R Hearing voices Hearing Voices Forum 8
J child pointing at ceiling hearing voices last 2 weeks..... Hearing Voices Forum 1
J hearing voices... Hearing Voices Forum 6
W Hi my name is Warren I like to talk to some one who understands what it's like hearing voices I have just recently gone back on medication after Hearing Voices Forum 6
Hello513 So despite hearing voices I am about to go into the medical field Hearing Voices Forum 12
T Positive testimony on voice hearing Hearing Voices Forum 10
R Still Hearing Voices At Night Hearing Voices Forum 34
Hello513 My opinion on the cause of hearing voices Hearing Voices Forum 2
lonelymoonchild Hearing Voices or just my Conscience? Hearing Voices Forum 17
A Hearing voices and medication Hearing Voices Forum 2
N Hearing Intrusive Thoughts/Helicopter Hearing Voices Forum 15
Weirdnumber What is the difference between hearing voices, having a psychosis and being schizophrenic? Hearing Voices Forum 11
C Mind reading and hearing voices Hearing Voices Forum 3