• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Any good books on borderline personality disorder?

Gail

Gail

anyone know of any good books/web sites on this subject i cant go on how i am in and out of psy and normal hospital being picked up by the police on a 136.
My mht are not seeming to want to help me (think its due to this dx):mad: or maybe i expect to much.
I have hit rock bottom and i dont want to end up by doing wot i normally do
Any idears wellcome. Have read the NICE guidelines and they do say its no longer a dx of exclusion (no comment):mad::mad:
I NEED TO HELP MYSELF
Cheers
xxxxx

S

*Sapphire*

I found the treatment Dialectical Behaviour Therapy - DBT - helpful. It might be worth enquiring about it with you CMHT or health authority to see if they are running it.

You can purchase the books but it takes alot of dedication and practice to learn the skills which is why they run the treatment. It usually lasts a year (if done properly with two cycles of the same course lasting 6 months - so you can remember the skills and practice them) and you attend a group and an individual session once a week.

This is a good site for DBT self help..

http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/

This is a site for the books...you might need ones aimed at self help and based on Marsha Linehans model (she created it), she has written a manual for practitioners which they use in the group it might be worth reading that...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=dbt

Other people have found Mentalisation Based Therapy -MBT- helpful for BPD but I don't know a lot about it.

Otherwise I would try look at treating any behaviours separately if you can so if you self harm see if there is a self harm treatment or group, if you have anxiety try anxiety management and so on.

They tend not to offer much if any type of psychotherapy to those still actively suffering with BPD because of the fear of it triggering more damaging behaviours. They are only considering it with me now because I am largely not using them and have been pretty stable for quite some time. If I am triggered I have managed to learn more helpful skills to cope.

Have they talked about any of this with you? I sometimes have found more success when I suggest to my CMHT and health workers what I want and need and be quite specific about it. I tend to do alot of research myself and try to organise things through other professionals if I am being blocked by one. I know it's wrong but sometimes it's the only way to get what you need from them.

Gail

Gail

Thanks have just come out of doing 2 years of dbt group work (well on and off when not been sectioned) Found it helped but has got to the point where doing same thing over and over again and its not working at all so have decided to give it a break for a while. Thing is i really need to do this for myself as things are getting out of hand in some aspects of my blpd its becoming dangerous to be me. Put it this way did an online test for blpd last night and i scored 100% on all the traits. I dont want to go down the path i have been going down lately Im scared of myself at times
:D
am going to research some of your ideas cheers

Last edited:
S

serialinsomniac

Hi Gail

I read quite a good book on schema therapy for BPD recently. It was simply called Schema Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder. It's written by such Dutch bloke.

I've been in and out of therapy for 12ish years and the only one I've found helpful is psychodynamic, though the therapist is employing elements of schema, which is why I read it.

The perennial I Hate You, Don't Leave Me is also worth a read if you haven't read it yet.

Take care and good luck

SI

W

Watercolours

Hi Gail

I read quite a good book on schema therapy for BPD recently. It was simply called Schema Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder. It's written by such Dutch bloke.

I've been in and out of therapy for 12ish years and the only one I've found helpful is psychodynamic, though the therapist is employing elements of schema, which is why I read it.

The perennial I Hate You, Don't Leave Me is also worth a read if you haven't read it yet.

Take care and good luck

SI
I'll second those, esp I Hate You, Don't Leave Me, it's a good read... plus as I just recommended on another topic, the Dummies book is really cheap on Amazon that came out last year on Borderline Personality Disorder it's a really good read... I have others as well let me check my book shelves and report back!

Hello SI, in case your wondering it's GGW, great minds think alike for joining this place! ;)

W

Watercolours

Over the years I've pretty much bought a lot of books on BPD...

The main ones I recommend apart from the Dummies book which in my bet is the best for someone just diagnosied and wanting to learn about BPD, everything the NHS failed to tell you...

Borderline Personality Disorder for Dummies

The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Living with BPD

Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified: An Essential Guide for Understanding and Living with BPD

One other book which is good about the recovery from BPD is

Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder

Of course for those in the UK you can read the NICE Guidelines in PDF format here...

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG78NICEGuideline.pdf

W

Watercolours

Dialectical Behaviour Therapy is something I am really interested in trying but my own MH Trust don't cover yet where I see my private psych do it, but not sure my budget can stretch to paying for DBT as well as my psych appointments.

I've got a couple of DBT self help books which I've worked my way through...

dib4uk

dib4uk

I've just ordered the borderline personality disorder for dummies on amazon so i will post what its like when i finally get it and have read some of it.

W

Watercolours

I've just ordered the borderline personality disorder for dummies on amazon so i will post what its like when i finally get it and have read some of it.
I think you'll like it! :)

XMHA

XMHA

One of the best books I've found on BPD, especially for the layman is "Lost In the Mirror" by Richard A. Moskovitz. Personally, I feel this book to light years better than "I Hate You, Don't Leave Me."

I had an ex-girlfriend who was diagnosed with BPD and, out of all of the books out there I was able to read, the one above hit the nail on the head and, made it as simple as possible to understand.