Any BPD / General Mental Health artists or illustrators here?

melonino

melonino

Hi, I was wondering if there's anyone where who dedicates their time to draw or illustrate about their mental illness, I'm genuinly interested, since as I work full time as a graphic designer and illustrator. Because of that, part of my bpd therapy is drawing about my feelings or my mental state weekly.

Also, can you relate to this?
Have you ever draw as part of your therapy?
How did it go?

I only share those drawings to my therapist, because I'm too afraid to show to anyone else. But I'd love to see anyone else's work and take some inspiration. Maybe It'll encourage me to share my drawings some day.

Here's part of an illustration I did for therapy a couple of weeks before.
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 1.21.33 PM.png
If you have an ig page or a blog, just let me know!
xx

BPDevil

BPDevil

i did an art course, both my gcse and final projects was based around mental health, although my last one was to do with strong attachment to someone which i guess has bpd elements to it

melonino

melonino

i did an art course, both my gcse and final projects was based around mental health, although my last one was to do with strong attachment to someone which i guess has bpd elements to it
In fact, I considered to base my final project in mental health and illustration, but I just can't seem to find a creative way to mix those two topics together, and make something actually interesting. It's nice to know someone who actually did it.

Soul_Deeps

Soul_Deeps

I wanted to draw / paint about what is going on in my head now for a long time. I just don't feel confident enough. Also my art therapist did more harm than good when I was in a stationary therapy.

melonino

melonino

I wanted to draw / paint about what is going on in my head now for a long time. I just don't feel confident enough. Also my art therapist did more harm than good when I was in a stationary therapy.
I totally understand what you mean, I still don't feel confident with my drawings at all. But still, i encourage you to at least do it for yourself, if it's something you want to do. You don't actually need to show anyone. It's really sad to hear that about your art therapist. I'm sure there's plenty of people that would love to learn about mental health through your drawings xx

BPDevil

BPDevil

that was the same with my art course, it made me lose total confidence in my work, both art students and teachers can be so judgemental and make you feel like an idiot for trying to express yourself, which you'd think they'd be promoting the opposite

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

Hi yes I'm an artist and a good amount of my work is about or linked to my mental state at the time of painting or drawing X

Soul_Deeps

Soul_Deeps

I totally understand what you mean, I still don't feel confident with my drawings at all. But still, i encourage you to at least do it for yourself, if it's something you want to do. You don't actually need to show anyone. It's really sad to hear that about your art therapist. I'm sure there's plenty of people that would love to learn about mental health through your drawings xx
Yea you are right, maybe I can create something the next days and show it here.

that was the same with my art course, it made me lose total confidence in my work, both art students and teachers can be so judgemental and make you feel like an idiot for trying to express yourself, which you'd think they'd be promoting the opposite
Hmm my art therapist was acutually kinda the opposite, denying me the option to use reference images, always saying it's impossible to do anything wrong, put a lot of pressure on me to just lay down strokes instead of thinking. Really tested my love to paint.

E

EstherRose94

That’s really cool! I color to calm down but i rarely have the patience to draw. I like to sometimes. I write when I’m nervous sometimes though. I think it’d be really cool to collect these poems and drawings and publish them to inform the general public about mental illness.

melonino

melonino

That’s really cool! I color to calm down but i rarely have the patience to draw. I like to sometimes. I write when I’m nervous sometimes though. I think it’d be really cool to collect these poems and drawings and publish them to inform the general public about mental illness.
How great is that! I think it's an excellent idea :hug: I'd love to read those poems and do some drawings, potentitally make a beautiful book or calendar about it... I know it's too personal, but I find it so inspiring! hit me up if you're ever willing to do that haha

Soul_Deeps

Soul_Deeps

Still searching for a way to conquer my fear of having to face the demons in my head. Need to sink in deep in order to paint genuinely.

E

EstherRose94

How do you get to that place? Meditation?

F

Fallingfromthetop

Nah anything that ends with school is often full of dogma. Some of the people in such places have no knowledge or appreciation for true art. Some people you find there needed to be taught what art is, like a checkbox but art doesn't work like that. Then they spend their life rating art by this checkbox criteria and feel like they are bad ass because off it. I studied pedagogy and the worst teacher I had in my life taught at that place.

I once put out a funky bassline and this guy on a forum that I had a lot of respect for told me it was way out of tempo/rhythm. And sure it was a bit cause I wanted it to have a nice funky feeling to it. So I put it into the correct rhythm and liked it less and stopped working on it. Years later I go back with fresh ears and listen to the two versions and guess what, my original bassline blew my away, it was so funky and the way it played around the main beat was making me wanna shake my ass. I guess he without knowing or not hated on it cause he was a man that could only make stale music on the beats, the way he was taught music worked. Now he knew a lot about music which is why I respected him, I learned a lot from him, he knew all the theory, but was music truly in his blood, did he understand the impact delaying or preplacing a note out of beat slightly could have? No he was clueless about the finer details of what makes music interesting.