• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Any advice?

S

Stevencc

Hi everyone.

For years now I have been suffering with what I suspect is depression. The problem is that doctors have disagreed with eachother and swapped between depression and bi-polar disorder.

I have been on 3 or 4 different tablets and none of them seemed to make any difference to my mental state, although some of the induced vomiting and other unwanted side-effects.

I will post a few of my symptoms and see if anyone can offer some advice.

Constant fatigue
Terrible sleeping patterns - I was recently going to bed as my partner left for work ay 8am
Feelings of worthlessness and apathy
Occasional suicdal thoughts - but not too often
Severe lack of motivation
Irritability

These are the problems that I notice.

My girlfriend on the other hand suggests these problems in conunction with

Emotional detachment and coldness
I hate everything, apparently
Anger problems, I have smashed up things in our flat before
Self-medicating with alcohol
Mood-swings.

Thanks for reading.

Emily-Rose

Emily-Rose

Hey there

I know how you feel about not getting a diagnosis. I was pushed and shoved between the options of depression and bipolar for a while too. It ended up I asked to be seen by a new psych and he diagnosed me with bipolar and tried me on the medication Seroquel. When I first started Seroquel I got worse, had bad symptoms, but this psych assured me to keep on taking them. I thought he was pretty insane at the time and didn't know what he was talking about, surely these tablets were making me worse? But I kept taking them as instructed and gradually I noticed they were making me feel better. My friends and boyfriend noticed my mood swings were not as frequent and not as bad, they noticed I wasn't as anxious and I was generally a happier person. I was also able to sleep at nights as they helped me to sleep :)

So basically, the end of the rant is, you could try a new psych to diagnose you, and if the tablets you have been given do give you bad symptoms, try them out for a while. Some tablets give bad symptoms whilst your body is adjusting to them..

Emily.x

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I'm afraid we can't really offer diagnoses here Stephen as we are not medical professionals. All I can say is that is that the symptoms you describe are far from uncommon if you read many people's accounts here. I am not sure it is wise to get too concerned with exactly what the diagnosis is as long as you are getting the right treatment - which it would seem you are not. If often takes a long time to find the right medication for any individual and a good percentage of people are resistant to all pharmaceutical treatment. Have you had any talking therapies?

Nick.

S

Stevencc

Thanks for your replies.

I have thus far been resistant tablets, but haven't been on any for 2 years or so and find that it is getting bad again.

I tried a talking therapy twice and I disliked the two people and was unable to come out of my shell and talk. One was a proper psychiatrist and had a very medical and cold way of talking, he also patronised me often telling me not to "be silly" etc and the other person was a social worker who didn't seem to have any real medical knowledge and he didn't bother with any probing questions.

Basically what Id like is some medication in conjunction with some useful therapy. My problem is that I can't even open up to my closest friends nor my girlfriend so I'm worried about me wasting people's time.

Z

zebedee

Thanks for your replies.

My problem is that I can't even open up to my closest friends nor my girlfriend so I'm worried about me wasting people's time.
You are opening up here so maybe writing down your thoughts and feelings and taking it along with you when you go to see a proffessional may help.
I hope you get the help you want opening up to my present psych got me the help I need but it took 4 or 5 different people untill I gave them my trust.

S

Stevencc

You are opening up here so maybe writing down your thoughts and feelings and taking it along with you when you go to see a proffessional may help.
I hope you get the help you want opening up to my present psych got me the help I need but it took 4 or 5 different people untill I gave them my trust.
Good point, but its easy to be open behind the anonymity of a forum. But it is a start, definitely.

My problem is just trust, as you mention, I trust very few people, if any. But I suppose if I am to get my way out of this I have to do my fair share of the work.

Thanks for your reply mate.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Steven - the two talking therapists you have seen have obviously been useless - but a proper therapist should ideally be some kind of psychologist (there are lots) or at least a councillor. I know that it can often be a long struggle to get access to a suitable therapist, given the lack of resources in this area, and the fact that everyone's needs are different - it took me years to find the right person. But it is worth it in the end.

To some extent it is necessary to accept - if you are that sort of person as I am - that opening up is always going to be difficult. But being on the Forum, listening to people who can open up, and slowly doing so yourself can be a real help. Take a look at the Journals section and maybe think about starting your own - it doesn't have to be at any deep level to begin with.

Best.

Nick.

S

Stevencc

Steven - the two talking therapists you have seen have obviously been useless - but a proper therapist should ideally be some kind of psychologist (there are lots) or at least a councillor. I know that it can often be a long struggle to get access to a suitable therapist, given the lack of resources in this area, and the fact that everyone's needs are different - it took me years to find the right person. But it is worth it in the end.

To some extent it is necessary to accept - if you are that sort of person as I am - that opening up is always going to be difficult. But being on the Forum, listening to people who can open up, and slowly doing so yourself can be a real help. Take a look at the Journals section and maybe think about starting your own - it doesn't have to be at any deep level to begin with.

Best.

Nick.
Yeah thats true. I will attempt to write in the journal section today, thanks for the tip.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi Stevencc.
I suffer with depression and schizophrenia.Your symptoms sound like depression to me,quite severe.
Sorry I dont know much about bipolar and I'm just a person with mental health problems not a Doctor.
I take the anti-depressant mirtazopine 45mg.I think it helps me.I was on citalopram before but had problems.
I also have just started taking escitalopram 5mg for sleep onset panic attacks.

S

Stevencc

Just to let everyone know that I have been prescribed Citalopram, one I've never had before. I really hope it works. Can anyone give me their experience with this drug?

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
having tried three other antidepresents I have found citalopram to be the best medication for me. I had it slowly titrated over a period of several months and now on a dose that works for me. It takes a good 8 weeks to work esp if very depressed but for me has been worth sticking with.

Talking therepy (although I note your bad experiences) has also helped me to

take care
Intel

Emily-Rose

Emily-Rose

I tried Citalopram for a while. I did have nasty side-effects the first few days of taking it and felt it wasn't helping me, but after being persistant and keeping taking it, gradually it worked for me :)

Emily.x

S

Stevencc

Just a quick update -

I've taken two 20mg doses of Citalopram now, one yesterday morning and one this morning.

I feel very strange, the first one I took made me very sleepy and spaced out for a little while.

Today after taking the tablet I can't sit still and my thoughts are racing, I feel like Ive drunk a lot of energy drinks and am really on edge.

Is this normal?

bluenomore

bluenomore

I've taken two 20mg doses of Citalopram now, one yesterday morning and one this morning.

I feel very strange, the first one I took made me very sleepy and spaced out for a little while.

Today after taking the tablet I can't sit still and my thoughts are racing, I feel like Ive drunk a lot of energy drinks and am really on edge.

Is this normal?
Hi, Steven

Yes I think that sounds pretty much the same as I experienced when I started taking Citalopram a year ago. It felt slightly sickly (a little like you feel when coming-up on ecstasy :cool:). This should pass in a few days/weeks once your body becomes more accustomed to it.

I started on 20mg a day for about six months (without really any improvement), then increased to 40mg a day which I'm currently on. At first I didn't notice any improvement, but recently I have started to feel a lot better than previously. Whether that's due to the Citalopram - who knows/cares :D

As others have said, It can take 8 weeks to start working - so hang in there and try to be patient.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

Last edited by a moderator: