• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Any advice

A

angel10

Hi everyone,

My doctor thinks I've got bipolar. This is after me suffering crippling lows then being put on fluoxetine only it sent me very strange and ended up on shopping trips I couldn't remember this is only after 4 days of taking the tablets. I've been back to the doctors today and he has given me some diazpam to help me sleep and has sent an urgent referral to the community health team.

I'm just looking for some reassurance really. Its taken alot for me to go to the doctors, now i've got to see the health team but I find it really hard to open up because I'm so ashamed and embarssed.

What kind of questions do they ask?
Has anyone else taken diazipam for sleeping? I'm terrified that the tablets will make me do strange things again.

I'm very scared and confused, sorry if my post just rambles on.

C

coraline1664

Hi,

If that was your first ever high then I don't think a diagnosis could be made now. Especially seeing as it started after you'd begun a new medication. I am surprised that he's said already that he thinks you're bi-polar! I have had an anti-depressant induced manic episode in the past so it is possible that it could be caused by the meds, although I agree they would be quite fast acting if you'd only been taking them for 4 days.

That's all the advice I can give you as I do not have bi-polar myself. You're doing well by seeking help and remember that mental health teams have heard lots from people before.

Best of luck,

Liz

B

BP2

Angel,

I remember worrying a great deal about my first ever psych consult, but I needn't have. It was a very relaxing and enjoyable couple of hours.

Lot's of background about my family and my life experiences, bit more focus on my recent feelings etc.

I was certainly made to feel at ease and it was nice to feel that perhaps for the first time I was speaking to a Doctor who didn't seem overly time pressured.

Enjoy the Diazepam! If you have never taken it before it will make you feel nice and mellow and relaxed and should help with sleep. Nothing to worry about, you may be a little groggy in the morning but no worse than a bad nights sleep.

Good luck

A

angel10

Thank you both for your replies. The cpn has contacted me today with an appointment for monday so least I haven't got too long to work myself up about it.

I had probably the best night sleep for over a month last night thanks to the meds which was much needed.

The manic (if it was manic) was not the first time i've done strange things. Last time I was on a high I took on 3 training courses and set up a business and strip my bedroom of all its wall paper in one morning and I've no idea why.........very irrational really cause I'm a full time carer for my disabled son. It seemed perfectly rational at the time.

But its the lows a fear I have a very loving family that our very supportive but I feel very alone and have awful thoughts.

L

LilMissLost

Hi Angel :innocent: :)
Same happened to me, iv been on different antidepressants at different times, one sent me sky high within days, the same one the next time sent me further into depression then i got switched onto a different one and went high. You will be fine and no need to worry about the diazepam just dont drink alcohol on them ;)

I was expecting to get counselling so when faced with a psychologist i was a little scared but also relieved id been fast tracked, i had already sat down and worked out some of my major highs and lows and abnormal behaviours which would probably help you to have something to refer to, i ended up being totally honest about drugs and alcohol said they lifted me out of depressions (or made me more able to cope) and also told him about narcotics which he didnt bat an eyelid at as i do that when im high mainly too! I also have a daughter so it was quite daunting having to be totally honest but that is truely the only way you will get help! Best of luck to you, keep us posted on how you get on xx

A

angel10

Hi lilmisslost,

Thanks ever so much for replying. I shall write some things down which I've done :cry: looking back over the last 10 to 15 years I've realised i've done some very rash things but they seemed perfectly normal at the time.

I'm finding the diazipham is having a very calming affect which I'm very relieved about.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again

A

angel10

I'm getting so anxious about tomorrow. I feel like I can't describe how many feelings I feel when I'm having a wobble I worried that I will sound insane :scared:

L

LilMissLost

Try not to worry Angel,
I have feelings that are all over the place too, i guess he will mainly concentrate on your latest "episode" and what you were feeling like then, iv arranged to see a private counsellor now and feel exactly like you. Its all so confusing but i wish you the best of luck and try not to be anxious, you should finally get the right help that you need, especially if your doctor already thinks you may have bipolar, no one believed me, not even my doctor until i got into an appointment like what you are going to tomorrow. Let us know how you get on and i hope you come out feeling happier xxx

A

angel10

well I did it, I made it to the appointment and took mum with me. I was really surprised because he didn't really ask how I was feeling really just asked how long i've been feeling down if there was any family history and about eating and sleeping. I was only in there 30 minutes he said they were having a meeting about me in the morning which made me feel extremely nervous :unsure: and they said that they would sort me some ad's out???? but he never once said what he thought it was so i'm very confused and nervous about going back on ad's after my last episode :scared: I've come out of the appointment feeling like i've wasted their time abit.

L

LilMissLost

Well done angel, sorry i havent really been on here last few days. Sounds like they could have been a bit more thorough aswell i got asked all sorts, i guess the only way to know is to go with it and take the antids and see what happens, i did last week on the advice of my doc and totally the wrong drug as i knew i wasnt depressed at the time so iv been back this week to see a different doctor whos taken me off them coz i felt high, given me more diazepam and trying to speak to psychologist for an alternative to the medication i should be on!!

You can always ask your doctor to see the letter they sent back to the doctors aswell i saw mine this week, speak to them and say you feel you were left not knowing what was going on, and just be aware of any feeling higher on your antids then hopefully they can take you off of them if neccessary before you go on any shopping sprees, i had one and bought a rabbit all i could afford with the pennies i had on me, she is literally the most fun ever, she makes me laugh so much! Hope you are ok hun and private message me if you need to i find it hard to keep up with what iv posted on on here and dont ever feel like your wasting their time just keep going til u get what you need xxx

A

angel10

Well done angel, sorry i havent really been on here last few days. Sounds like they could have been a bit more thorough aswell i got asked all sorts, i guess the only way to know is to go with it and take the antids and see what happens, i did last week on the advice of my doc and totally the wrong drug as i knew i wasnt depressed at the time so iv been back this week to see a different doctor whos taken me off them coz i felt high, given me more diazepam and trying to speak to psychologist for an alternative to the medication i should be on!!

You can always ask your doctor to see the letter they sent back to the doctors aswell i saw mine this week, speak to them and say you feel you were left not knowing what was going on, and just be aware of any feeling higher on your antids then hopefully they can take you off of them if neccessary before you go on any shopping sprees, i had one and bought a rabbit all i could afford with the pennies i had on me, she is literally the most fun ever, she makes me laugh so much! Hope you are ok hun and private message me if you need to i find it hard to keep up with what iv posted on on here and dont ever feel like your wasting their time just keep going til u get what you need xxx
Hi lilmisslost,

You've been a god send to me this last week, reading through you past posts we sound very similar. I've got another appointment this morning with the cpn (i'm not actually sure what their job is:unsure:) but hopefully i'll pluck up the courage to ask what the next step is for me. At the minute I'm in a strange mood i'm quite hyper in the sense that I'm cleaning my house to within an inch of it life (but it did need it cause for the last 5 weeks i've not done any cleaning) i'm getting quite excited.....but I've no idea why lol. got 2 hours sleep last night and then started the cleaning again. But these damn awful thoughts are still here infact there getting stronger and longer. Hubby's hid the all the tablets out the medicine cabinet just incase.

L

LilMissLost

Hi lilmisslost,

You've been a god send to me this last week, reading through you past posts we sound very similar. I've got another appointment this morning with the cpn (i'm not actually sure what their job is:unsure:) but hopefully i'll pluck up the courage to ask what the next step is for me. At the minute I'm in a strange mood i'm quite hyper in the sense that I'm cleaning my house to within an inch of it life (but it did need it cause for the last 5 weeks i've not done any cleaning) i'm getting quite excited.....but I've no idea why lol. got 2 hours sleep last night and then started the cleaning again. But these damn awful thoughts are still here infact there getting stronger and longer. Hubby's hid the all the tablets out the medicine cabinet just incase.
So glad i can be of help Angel :) We do indeed sound very similar ;) So are you on any medication at the moment? Good luck with the appointment, definetly say how you really feel if you know how you feel, iv been researching on the internet about different feelings, never knew i had psychotic episodes and delusional thoughts, i didnt even really know what it meant when my psychiatrist asked me. Its hard to explain how you really feel when you dont know yourself and it changes all the time! That really is the only way to work out whats truly going on though, look forward to seeing how you got on later, good luck :) xx

A

angel10

Well the appointment went well today, I've got an urgent referral to see a physc so hopefully we see someone next week. He was concerned that my moods are changing quite quickly and the suicidal thoughts so I now have a crisis team in place to help with that. No meds at the minute apart from the diazipam which he thought I might be coming immune to so they are looking at a mood stabilizer. He's quite keen for me to be seen quickly though so that helps. They still didn't indicate what my diagnosis would be thought but I suppose its early days.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Well the appointment went well today, I've got an urgent referral to see a physc so hopefully we see someone next week. He was concerned that my moods are changing quite quickly and the suicidal thoughts so I now have a crisis team in place to help with that. No meds at the minute apart from the diazipam which he thought I might be coming immune to so they are looking at a mood stabilizer. He's quite keen for me to be seen quickly though so that helps. They still didn't indicate what my diagnosis would be thought but I suppose its early days.
Well at least your seeing someone really soon and that you have plans in place. Its just about trying to stay safe now untill you see the psychiatrists.

Dont worry thats what we're here for to give u assistance and guidence that you might need to help you stay safe. Diagnoses sometimes takes time, and you'll probably recieve it after you've seen the psychiatrist.

L

LilMissLost

Brilliant News, so glad you are getting some help! sounds like you are definetly getting somewhere! I guess they cant give you a diagnosis til they are sure what it is theirselves and with the right support in place you should have some answers soon! So pleased it went well for you! xx