• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Any advice for overcoming paranoid chemical contamination after maid service cleaned my house?

M

mat12

I recently had a maid service come and clean my house because I moved into a new place. I have a bit of a phobia of chemicals as part of my anxiety and OCD and my thoughts can seem paranoid in regard to this. I am have this irrational fear that I said something that irritated them or something and that they may have put dangerous chemicals on lots of surfaces of my house and furniture because they didn't like me so they wanted to ruin my stuff and expose me to the dangerous chemicals. I feel like I am paranoid or something and I don't really want to talk about these fears much with people I know. On some level I totally recognize how unreasonable these intrusive thoughts sounds but it is still enough that I get intrusive thoughts about it. Any tips on how to move past this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

J

JustSomeDude1278

Hey mate, I'm pretty new to this site and only just made my first post, I haven't had much experience with cleaning type stuff but I do get very paranoid with trusting people with my stuff especially taking my car to the garage because I worry if they dont like the look of me or I said something to piss them off they may do something to my car 😂 so I do get how you feel in that manner but I've been assured from many of my friends how insane I sound so talking to someone else might get you the help you need.

As for the chemical stuff everything used in cleaning products has been tested on animals at some point (unfortunately) but by law it cannot be detrimental to your health, I could go into deep detail as to why but I'm not sure that will help things and what it would effect but this is what I do with some of my stuff I go into massive deep research into things and it really isnt healthy, hopfully someone better with more experience in dealing with it properly will be along soon because all I do is look for reassurance in details

And aside from that everything plastic, or glass wont react with anything, as for wood if its laminated like a kitchen counter it wont react with anything,you could pour acid on it and it should be fine, but again this is finding reassurance in detail and from what I have been reading that is not the answer

My best advice is that what is done is done and cannot be changed, so not worry about what you cant change, but if I was in your position and you told me that I would tell me to get lost Haha

M

mat12

Hey mate, I'm pretty new to this site and only just made my first post, I haven't had much experience with cleaning type stuff but I do get very paranoid with trusting people with my stuff especially taking my car to the garage because I worry if they dont like the look of me or I said something to piss them off they may do something to my car 😂 so I do get how you feel in that manner but I've been assured from many of my friends how insane I sound so talking to someone else might get you the help you need.

As for the chemical stuff everything used in cleaning products has been tested on animals at some point (unfortunately) but by law it cannot be detrimental to your health, I could go into deep detail as to why but I'm not sure that will help things and what it would effect but this is what I do with some of my stuff I go into massive deep research into things and it really isnt healthy, hopfully someone better with more experience in dealing with it properly will be along soon because all I do is look for reassurance in details

And aside from that everything plastic, or glass wont react with anything, as for wood if its laminated like a kitchen counter it wont react with anything,you could pour acid on it and it should be fine, but again this is finding reassurance in detail and from what I have been reading that is not the answer

My best advice is that what is done is done and cannot be changed, so not worry about what you cant change, but if I was in your position and you told me that I would tell me to get lost Haha
Thanks for the response! Interesting you have the same fear of people not liking something you said/did and then trying to get back at you by messing with you or your stuff, I have never talked to anyone else who has said they have that (maybe it is more common that we know?)

This whole thing started because I had a maid service come and I told them I had some spider webs on the patio that I would like cleaned (I meant to say cobwebs as they were old) and then I started to worry that they might be scared of spiders and that they think I was sending them outside to go do something dangerous and want to get back at me by smearing chemicals on my stuff.

It actually does sound pretty crazy writing it out and makes it feel irrational. I even looked it up and apparently it is a normal request to ask a cleaning service to clean spider webs since they have the supplies to clean them. But yeah, I also read the safety data sheets of cleaning products. There is no evidence of anything I am worrying about so I should just get over it and move on with my life

J

JustSomeDude1278

Na mate I'm certian there is nothing your average cleaner can get that could cause you any harm or any harm to upuur stuff for that matter, the stuff is pretty difficult for terrorists to get hold of to make bombs for stuff and it's worth a lot of money on the open market so using it to damage your property would be a massive waste of money Haha

But I totally get where your coming from I never take my car to garages and work on it myself when I can, I sometimes check my locks 8 times at night incase one of my neighbours hate me and wanna get back at me

My best advice would be to accept it as there is nothing you can do about it and it's highly unlikely ot has happend anyway and even if you did stress about it another OCD problem is right around the corner for you to waste days of your life correcting so it's always better to accept it and ignore it, for me it usually passes to something else and I forget

J

JustSomeDude1278

Na mate I'm certian there is nothing your average cleaner can get that could cause you any harm or any harm to upuur stuff for that matter, the stuff is pretty difficult for terrorists to get hold of to make bombs for stuff and it's worth a lot of money on the open market so using it to damage your property would be a massive waste of money Haha

But I totally get where your coming from I never take my car to garages and work on it myself when I can, I sometimes check my locks 8 times at night incase one of my neibours hate me and wanna get back at me

My best advice would be to accept it as there is nothing you can do about it and it's highly unlikely ot has happend anyway and even if you did stress about it another OCD problem is right around the corner for you to waste days of your life correcting so it's always better to accept it and ignore it, for me it usually passes to something else and I forget

M

mat12

But I totally get where your coming from I never take my car to garages and work on it myself when I can, I sometimes check my locks 8 times at night incase one of my neibours hate me and wanna get back at me

I think the only dangerous things they have are the toilet bowl cleaner which can contain hydrochloric acid but that stuff is blue so it would stain anything they put in on and bleach which would smell super strong and be noticeable. I also try to remind myself throughout the day that they aren't going to risk their jobs or legal trouble just because I asked them to clean a spider web that they may not have wanted to clean. Way more likely they would just say no or say it costs extra if they didnt typically do that.

You are very right that I will most likely just find a new OCD related worry. For me it is often health anxiety related stuff and as soon as I get over a worry another one is there to take it's place.