• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Any advice for going to the doctor about anxiety?

S

Sian09

Hi! I'm new to this forum so hopefully I am using it right haha.
Anyway, I basically joined this site because I have what I think is anxiety since December so I'm going to the doctor tomorrow since I'm getting sick of the thoughts, nausea feeling and constant crying.
I'll try to keep this as short as possible.
I have constant thoughts about being homeless one day. I am currently a student in university UK so I get student finance. I have £2100 left in my account and £1000 coming in soon but I can't spend it otherwise I will panic. I sometimes skip meals because in my head that means 'money saved which can go towards better things'. I bought a new laptop for £200 for uni and I hated myself so much for a month and kept thinking about all the other stuff I could have spent it on.

Linking with University, I panic over university. I'm going back on Sunday and I've cried everyday (I feel so pathetic for a 19 year old but oh well). I can't go into my shared kitchen (with 8 other people) without first hyperventilating in my room. I have to listen out to hear when nobody is in there so I can just go in there on my own.

I have fear over health and my parents dying (even though they're in their 40's and healthy as far as I am concerned). This means I constantly nag my dad to stop drinking so much alcohol and told them we should stop eating fast food. I also fear my own health and think I am ill constantly.

I don't go out with my friends as much anymore. Partly because of my fear of spending money but also because I get nervous and panicky. I have thoughts like 'I'll probably lose them and then get raped and murdered', so I just stay in because it's 'safer'. This is so out of character for me since I used to be such a party animal and now I just don't want to leave my house.

Sometimes I'll just be watching TV and then feel anxious and sick for no reason whatsoever and just burst out crying!

Like I said, all of this is out of character for me, I mean I've always been a worrier but not this excessive. I think the worst and can't help it. It's caused me to lose sleep - i don't sleep til like 4am. I cry ALL THE TIME. I sometimes (but rarely) hyperventilate.

I'm going back to Uni this weekend and I want some sort of medication to get me through the next 2 months, since I'm at my worst when I am at University and just can't cope. I literally feel like crying as I write this :'( I've tried yoga and exercising more but it just doesn't help.

Like I said, I've only had it since December and I think it was triggered by falling out with a load of people (I only have 3 friends now) and because of this I'm constantly lonely in University. My ex boyfriend also spread rumours about me sleeping around and called me mentally damaged, used up etc.
I just hate myself so much atm :'( So I think it's time to see a dr but does anyone have any advice? Since I don't want her just to tell me to 'breathe and exercise' since I literally can't cope and want medication :(

R

Rob27

Hi Sian09

I'm Rob, I'm sorry your feeling this way but I think there is a way forward :). I use a few practical things to help me get through this that stress me out so maybe they will help you feel a bit better. When going to the doctors I find it helpful to write down what my concerns, feelings and symptoms are, I often get confused and feel rushed at the doctors but if I have it written down I can work through my list.

With the money situation I write down everything I know I'm going to pay for and then leave a bit extra for anything that might crop up and if you keep the list and cross things out as you pay for them you can easily keep track of your incomings and outgoings. Please don't skip meals it may make you feel worse and then you may find it harder to deal with the problems your facing.

I'm not sure what kind of accommodation you are staying in but what ever it is there are organisations out there to help make sure you don't homeless. I became homeless two years ago and now I have my own flat so whatever happens there's always away back and away to move forward.

You said you only have 3 friends, are they good friends? I only have two people I would class as proper friends and that's all I need because I know they would be there for me with whatever I need.

Sometimes if I have a lot going on I try to break the problem down in to lots of small bits instead of one impossible problem, Also I'm sure your university has a place for you to go and get advice as well.

I hope this helps but if I can be anymore help let me know :)

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Sian

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I am sorry you are suffering so much. Hopefully since it started quite recently you can get some help and deal with it soon. I am glad you are going to the doctor. Since you are at uni, it would be a good idea to contact your student counselling service. They will be used to helping people with the same kind of problems and will make sure you have extra support if you need it.

you can post on here and find friendly people who understand what you are going through.

Best wishes. Sarah

katya

katya

Hello and :welcome:

Just tell the doctors what you've told us: you might even want to print out what you've written here if you struggle to get it out into words. That way, the doctor will know how you're feeling and how much you're struggling, and hopefully they'll be able to give you the treatment you need right now.

Wish you all the best. University can be a very difficult time.

I think going to the uni counsellor is a very good idea - they're easy to access, and you don't get that at any other time in your life!