• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Any Advice Appriciated

S

Sarah81

hello, i am not sure if this is the right place for me to put this post but i would be greatful if anyone could help me.
this is my first post so i will explain a wee bit about me first.
i am a 28 year old female and have been diagnosed with bipolar type 2, self harm, and pathalogical grief in 2007 after being in and out of the psychiatic system since i was 14 after my first suisde attempt.
The problem i have at the moment is that i just can't communicate with my current psychatrist and would like to change to a female one. I have spoken to my GP about this and she said that she could not help me change psychatrist and that i would have to talk to him, however i find him intimidating and very hard to talk to and do not know how to approach the subject as it is always the same questions i m asked.
I would be greatful if anyone has any suggestions on how i could takle this or if there is anyonther way in scotland that i could change my doctor.
Many thanks for taking the time to read this
x

M

MYDOGSMELLS

I believe that your doctor is wrong about this, do you have a CPN? If you do you could ask him/her to sort out a different psyc doc for you, I did not get along with my CBT but being the outspoken type I just told him I was thinking of giving up therapy because I wasn't comfortable with him. he seemed quite shocked and asked me if I wanted to change therapists, then he said we could work together to make our therapy better, which we did. it may be worth if you can pluck up the courage just telling him!

S

Sarah81

thank you for sharing your experiance with me.....I think my problem is that i am too shy and intimidated by him to talk openly to him. I am also getting CBT by a therapist who works in the same office as my psychiatrist, do u think asking her to talk to him would make a difference? I cancelled my last appointment with him as i got my self in such a state worring about going to see him that i ended up vomitting on the way there!!! I have an appointment scheduled with him in 3 weeks and my CBT therapist next week! x

M

MYDOGSMELLS

yes i would definatly speak to your cbt, if nothing else she will be able to give you some coping strategies, it's hard I know when you feel so worked up, i used to feel sick a lot. with hindsight I can see that I shouldn't have been so worried about it, but when you are in the thick of it so to speak it's not always so easy. If you tell your doctor about your reaction last time then surely they would arrange someone else? it's obvious you aren't just a tad nervous! doctors can be a real pain though sometimes....

T

TOONAFISH

hiya, i would speak to your cpn and see if they can help you sort it out. if you dont feel comfotable i would def try and change. i think you have enough going on with out having that hanging over you. my p doc is ok but very clever and intellectual and i never know what she is on about lol

hope you get it sorted xx