• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anxious Preoccupied and not giving in..

F

f33db4ck

So
I am one of those anxious preoccupied people.
I am also fully aware of it in the full sense. I know how it works, and how it effects me. But the feelings are still there.

I am in school to be a therapist. But thinking I can solve all my own problems is naive so I have come here.

My life and relationships also complicate this a bit more.

As I am poly and have multiple romantic relationships at a time.

But thats aside from the point. Even if I was with one person. or alone. I would still do these behaviors.

I guess one main question I have come to ask which I cant seem to find answered is this.

All the books I have read say communicate with your partner to get your needs met and to not participate in protest behaviors.

This is dandy..

However, by circuming to the process of getting ones needs met involves protest behaviors.
For instance.

If one is AP and to feel secure they need more communication through the day, that is essentially giving in to a protest behavior in advance. Its opening the door for more and more avenues of control. Rather than giving up control. Its a continuation of using the realtionship like a crutch.

i am wondering if anyone has simply waited it out.

As in. Stopped completely giving in to their protest behaviors and found any solution in that.

For example. When i dont get a lot of texts from a partner I am dating my first reaction emotionally is to think they dont want to be with me anymore. I know this sounds insane but it feels rational to me emotionally. If I gain their attention, all the feelings go away. By contacting them over and over im reinforcing that the way to feel safe is to reinforce an unsafe belief.

has anyone just totally stopped giving into their protest behaviors completely? has it worked out well at all?

F

f33db4ck

I guess the prevailing issues is always placing the variation upon someone else.
It would be best to be able to become our own attachment figures

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Welcome to the forum f33db4ck, :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
UnderR Anxious Thoughts / Overthinking. Anxiety Forum 4
MrBond007 OCD/Anxious about TV picture settings Anxiety Forum 2
MrBond007 Been feeling pretty fed up and anxious ever since losing save file on a game. Anxiety Forum 1
O outburst has made me anxious Anxiety Forum 4
O neighbour trouble made me anxious Anxiety Forum 11
M Every Day Anxious Anxiety Forum 2
C Feeling anxious/cloggy Anxiety Forum 1
S Anxious and overreacting? Anxiety Forum 4
K Too anxious Anxiety Forum 5
O very anxious giving up smoking Anxiety Forum 20
N Very Anxious - No apparent reason Anxiety Forum 17
E constantly anxious about who i am supposed to be Anxiety Forum 1
K Sometimes I want to break up with my gf bc shes to pretty and it makes me anxious Anxiety Forum 11
KittyCat92 Anxious when I wake up Anxiety Forum 11
Bod I feel so scared and very anxious Anxiety Forum 8
N Anxious slight currently - weather?? Anxiety Forum 2
C I get really anxious going outside, any advice? Anxiety Forum 13
K How to get over being anxious Anxiety Forum 10
M Feeling guilty and anxious for not being productive Anxiety Forum 5
jajingna Are you around anxious people? Anxiety Forum 3
tomar waking up panicky and anxious every morning Anxiety Forum 3
R Any one get anxious when the one you care for blocks or does not answer you. Anxiety Forum 2
M Some things that make me anxious + how to be happy and at peace? Anxiety Forum 3
S Anxious while looking for work Anxiety Forum 2
MrBond007 Building (upgrading) PC soon, and quite anxious on how it might sound and look. Anxiety Forum 4
N Appointment Change Is Making Me Anxious Anxiety Forum 4
A Im so anxious and drained all the time from this new non stop anxiety, I just want a hug. Anxiety Forum 10
Sloshiceangel I’m so anxious and so nervous! What should i do? Anxiety Forum 5
lilbit Feel uneasy/anxious about partner drinking- is this normal? Anxiety Forum 4
MrBond007 Started becoming anxious today over a bug in a game I've had for 8 years. Anxiety Forum 1
T I feel anxious constantly, anyone else? Anxiety Forum 7
MrBond007 Started to feel anxious recently about something completely irrational (OCD) Anxiety Forum 4
Argon Too anxious to think or talk Anxiety Forum 3
Jam1990 So anxious lately Anxiety Forum 6
P Too Anxious to do Anything, Feeling Lonely Anxiety Forum 12
MrBond007 Really anxious that my PC will somehow break if I left it off for a while. Anxiety Forum 16
S Anxious of the unknown Anxiety Forum 5
K An Anxious Meditation Is as Good (or Better) Than a Relaxed One Anxiety Forum 1
B Anxious to Travel Anxiety Forum 1
F I get anxious and paranoid about everything. Anxiety Forum 8
R Constantly overthinking, anxious, and self-depressing thoughts when it comes to work. Anxiety Forum 3
Jam1990 Feeling anxious tonight but also less paranoid Anxiety Forum 2
MrBond007 Been feeling extremely anxious recently since starting my medication again. Anxiety Forum 2
M No motivation and anxious. Anxiety Forum 2
M I dont know why I feel anxious? Anxiety Forum 3
Ineedhelp2921 Feeling anxious again Anxiety Forum 24
ingenuity any tips on how to be less sensitive towards my anxious thoughts and my health issues Anxiety Forum 3
J I’m feeling a bit anxious.... Anxiety Forum 3
S Anxious and worried Anxiety Forum 5
S Anxious and anziety attack ...help!!!!! Anxiety Forum 8