• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anxious New Member

D

dragonfly

Hi, I'm new to all this. I'm a 42 year old woman who has never entered a forum discussion in her life! However, I was desperate to find other people who I could relate to and so I decided to take the plunge. I was diagnosed with BPD earlier this year but have been in and out of the mental health care system for the last ten years and am currently in psychotherapy which I am finding really helpful. I am looking forward to meeting you all (not sure if that's the right term for the forum). I'm extremely anxious so I hope you'll bear with me. Thanks for listening :confused:

K

Kat667

Welcome Dragonfly, I'm 35 and only just faced up to my condition. Best wishes from the West Country.:grouphug:

iffybob

iffybob

Hi

No prob, we are pritty lax here , there a just a few BPDs on here, if you ask I am sure some one will help. and your view is as good as anyones, so dont be afraid to speek.

So welcome......... boB .......:flowers:

D

dragonfly

Thank you

Thank you for making me feel so welcome already, it's much appreciated. (y)

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi dragonfly, :welcome: to the forum. :)

Q

quality factor

Hi and :welcome: to the forum, I'm a 57 year old with BPD which was only
recognised after many years of suffering. When I look back to my late teens/early twenties I have calmed down considerably! I guess I am wiser to recognising a 'moment' coming on, and dealing with it more positively.

QF.

D

dragonfly

Thank you

Thank you Trombone Babe and Quality Factor for welcoming me to the forum. I have never spoken to anyone else with BPD (as far as I know anyway) and I can't believe I can now talk to others who will understand at long last! Thank you again and kind regards. :clap:

K

Kat667

Great to hear the psychotherapy is going well Dragonfly. I've to see my doc tomorrow and don't want them to put me on anything that will interfere with my work. Have heard you really have to push to get psychotherapy rather than antidepressants or other meds.

iffybob

iffybob

stick

Have heard you really have to push to get psychotherapy rather than antidepressants or other meds.
You have to push even when they know ther are no meds, and the only thing is the theropy .........:mad:

D

dragonfly

Hope your appointment at docs goes well tomorrow Kat667. I hope they don't prescribe you anything that interferes with your work either. I'm not on any meds at the moment because I was worried about this too. I was prescribed fluoxetine after my mum passed away in August, but I came off them because nothing I've tried over the last ten years has worked for me. I agree that therapy really is the only option. I actually feel validated for once! Good luck tomorrow. ;)

A

ann

hello dragonfly!

can feel scary - I've not been on a site before either - and recently joined.
Diagnosed BPD a few months ago. not a pretty thing but it does explain why I feel instantly suicidal from perceived rejection when eg I think someone across the road is ignoring me - when they may actually be focusing on the traffic!!!!

I'm freshly 56 and only diagnosed as I was worried I might have Asperger's hence the assessment.

How do you feel about your diagnosis?

best wishes for christmas
ANn

D

dragonfly

Hello Ann

Thank you for your reply, it's so nice to be able to talk to others. I've always known that I was different and it's actually quite a relief to have been diagnosed and have a 'label'. I know the 'label' can be difficult for some people (or so I've heard) but for me I finally feel as though everything makes sense at long last. I tend not to go out much (also have social phobia) because everything seems so scary. I've tried a couple of short courses recently and that went well at first but I've bottled out of the last few because one girl had a very domineering nature and it frightened me. It wasn't her fault but I couldn't cope. She ignored me when I sat down and turned her back on me and I wanted to cry. I didn't cry though but I couldn't talk after that, I completely clammed up. I'm not sure if I was imagining it; I'm sure I wasn't though and I felt extremely hurt and I haven't been brave enough to return. I hope to go back in the New Year though and my psychotherapist has been great about it; he helps a lot.

I know on my last post to Kat667 I said that I didn't want meds to interfere with my work either, but I actually don't work. I meant that I didn't want the meds to interfere with my work with the psychotherapist. I thought I must just clear that up. So there's my first mistake and I've only just joined! :oops: I worry about everything and I have been worrying about that too.

Anyway, hope to hear from you again soon and best wishes to you too for Christmas and the New Year. I hope you get through it okay. Kind Regards :flowers:

D

dragonfly

Hi Kat667

Great to hear the psychotherapy is going well Dragonfly. I've to see my doc tomorrow and don't want them to put me on anything that will interfere with my work. Have heard you really have to push to get psychotherapy rather than antidepressants or other meds.
I hope the doc's went okay today. Did you ask about psychotherapy? I hope you came away satisfied.

Kind regards

S

SmileyGirl

Hello Dragonfly and also Ann

Welcome,
I have only been on this site for a wee while and have found it so so helpful.
Both in recieiving ideas and comments from others, but also sharing my experiences in the hope that other people might find something in which I say a help.
Not one person has been judgemental, and it feels very safe.

I have made great friends already, and it is so true that it is easy to feel alone with this condition.

Best wishes to you both and lots of good karma x x

D

dragonfly

Thank you SmileyGirl, I feel quite at home already. It's so nice to talk to others and, as you say, it does feel safe here.

Kind Regards and lots of good karma to you too. :flowers: