• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxious about life after school

D

Drama_llama

I’ve recently been diagnosed with OCD. I can’t go to sleep unless I check the door is locked, the lights/switches are off, all drawers are shut (even if it’s open by a centimetre I’ll have to shut it fully). I have to do these things about 4 times before I can relax and stop feeling anxious. Also when anxious I have to count to seven, for some reason.

I’ve been getting really upsetting thoughts, and can’t stop overthinking/going over every little thing. It’s making me really anxious - it’s after 1 am here and I can’t sleep because my mind is racing.

I care too much what people think about me, and I’m praying they’ll forget about me - everyone used to think I was weird or that there was something wrong with me because I was so shy, in my own comfort zone though, I’m actually pretty outgoing. I’ve just left school earlier this year - do people generally forget about their classmates that they didn’t know well? When I say I was shy, I mean painfully shy and people would pick on me for it, which would just make it worse. Will everyone just move on with their own lives and not think about me? I’m worried people will see me down the street and talk about me.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

I’ve recently been diagnosed with OCD. I can’t go to sleep unless I check the door is locked, the lights/switches are off, all drawers are shut (even if it’s open by a centimetre I’ll have to shut it fully). I have to do these things about 4 times before I can relax and stop feeling anxious. Also when anxious I have to count to seven, for some reason.

I’ve been getting really upsetting thoughts, and can’t stop overthinking/going over every little thing. It’s making me really anxious - it’s after 1 am here and I can’t sleep because my mind is racing.

I care too much what people think about me, and I’m praying they’ll forget about me - everyone used to think I was weird or that there was something wrong with me because I was so shy, in my own comfort zone though, I’m actually pretty outgoing. I’ve just left school earlier this year - do people generally forget about their classmates that they didn’t know well? When I say I was shy, I mean painfully shy and people would pick on me for it, which would just make it worse. Will everyone just move on with their own lives and not think about me? I’m worried people will see me down the street and talk about me.
My step daughter has OCD. she cant have anything moved in her house or she will notice. She does tue same with light switches, power switches etc. She now has 3 kids and a husband that loves her to bits so dont get hung up on your OCD. It just means your not boring 😂

C

crocoyes6

I've worked co-ops and internships before, I haven't graduated yet, but I have experienced working full time for an extended period of time. It's hard at first, but then you realize you have about six-seven hours a day basically all to yourself, no other responsibilities. I mean, this is generic advice, but just be open to making new friends, say yes to all invites, invite people out yourself, and pick up some hobbies for when you just want to be alone. It's not the same as college, hanging out with people takes a bit more effort, but once you get used to that, it's fine.