Anxiety without many physical symptoms

F

firemonkee57

https://dih.wiki.otago.ac.nz/images/8/80/Beck.pdf

I found that a fairly useless measure of anxiety due to its over reliance on the presence of physical symptoms. Not all people with anxiety experience a lot of physical symptoms. A lot of the questions re physical symptoms were irrelevant to me .Out of 21 questions only 9 had relevance to me. Using the heavily physically based questionnaire I score 16 which indicates very low anxiety but using my score for the 9 questions that were relevant that is equivalent to 37 for 21 questions. That places me at "potential cause for concern" level . That is my points average for the questions that were relevant to me and more indicative of the level of anxiety I experience.

I hate the way anxiety gets downplayed if it doesn't manifest with many physical symptoms.

C

Captain Caveman

It's all in your head. As if that helps. I rarely have any physical symptoms of anxiety, no numbness or tingling, no wobbliness in legs, just a vague terror of being alive.

F

firemonkee57

For me it's the thought of impending catastrophe and the way it makes me feel scared.

C

Captain Caveman

I always imagine the worst, the many varied ways that things will inevitably go wrong. In a way it's a talent. I should work in a job involving planning for disasters since I'm so good at imagining the worst case scenario. It doesn't happen most of the time though. The impending catastophe that I get so anxious thinking about never happens. I goes past and I wonder what I was so scared of. But this doesn't stop me doing the same thing next time.

R

Rio de la Plata

I didn't get many physical symptoms at first, maybe the first three or four years, just hot flushes, sweaty hands and that sort of thing.

Then I had chest pain and pain in my left arm, so thought I was having a heart attack, that was Autumn 2013. I was OK, got checked out and it was definitely anxiety, for the next four or five days I was really tired and weak too.

Since then I've had several physical symptoms and near break downs including convincing myself I had testicular cancer because of pain there too.