• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety while pregnant

A

apzyy

I've been off the whole forum for a while. I don't usually suffer with anxiety unless my complex PTSD is acting up but now I'm 17 weeks pregnant and am anxious all the damn time, to the point where I'm crying and can't breathe, or I completely catastrophize things in my head and make myself 100x more anxious than I was originally! I'm constantly scared that the baby has died and I don't know and won't know until my next scan at 20 weeks. I have no pain, no bleeding, just really really anxious that something has happened to the baby. I have one of those doppler things as a gift from my husband but have never been able to pick up the heartbeat since I've had it.
I've come off my bipolar II medication with my doctor's help for the baby's health, but I don't think this is lack-of-medication related, plus I really don't want to go back on the medication because of the withdrawal effects that the baby can have if it makes it to full term. Do you think I should tell my midwife when I see her Tuesday that I'm really scared for the baby for no understandable reason? Is there anything I can do apart from breathing exercises (which don't help with me for some reason) to help with the anxiety?
Thanks x

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I think it would be sensible to tell your midwife, to be honest. :hug:
None of us here can give you the reassurance that the professionals can.
And i'm sure she's got some experience of dealing with Mums-to-be that have come off meds and have mental health issues.

As for the doppler thing, there are so many reasons why you might not be hearing a heart-beat successfully. Does your midwife know you have one of these things? Perhaps she might be able to give you some good advice and help you find the right sort of place to be poking around with it (well, not poking around but you know what I mean).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Anxiety Forum 0
C Anxiety Forum 2
W Anxiety Forum 2
L Anxiety Forum 2
J Anxiety Forum 4