• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety when trying to sleep and phantom pains

C

Crain

Apologies if this has been posted before or is not actual anxiety, when I described this problem to a friend they suggested it was anxiety. I have a problem that occurs very frequently, see I am very squeamish about eye gore and almost every time I try to sleep images of that pop into my head despite my best efforts to push them out and even thinking or talking about it or seeing it like in a tv show for too long makes my left eye hurt and I truly do not know what to do about it most of the time this happens when I attempt to sleep but it also happens when I try to relax as well.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
:welcome: to the forum.

Sorry I can't really help that much at the moment.

Hopefully this will give the thread a little bit of a bump :)

Marliee x

C

Crain

Alright well thank you for the bump at least and for welcoming me to the forum :) I hope someone can give me some advice though this has unfortunately led to a lot of sleepless nights for me.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Crain, have you thought about having an eye check up to reassure you there's no problem with your eyes. Maybe keeping some eye drops to put in before you sleep to make sure your eye is hydrated and comfortable.

It is true that anxiety can produce physical symptoms, and if you worry about something obsessively that could b the cause. May be worth ruling out anything physical, then if you know it is anxiety maybe it will stop.

C

Crain

Actually I have not thought of getting my eyes examined before mostly because I hate anything being near my eyes I can't even do eye drops or watch someone put in a contact lens, however I will try to see about getting my eyes examined since the thought of it stemming from something wrong with my own eyes never occurred to me. I do not try to obsess over it, it just kind of happens own its own anything to get it to stop would be nice.

SarahD

SarahD

Yeah - it may not be any physical problem but it would be good to check.

I know what you mean - I can't bear anything touching my eyes and could never wear contact lenses. And I used to hate eye drops. I have to use them now and have found I can put them at the corner so they just run into my eye rather than drop them in. They really do make it feel better.

Most likely it is anxiety and you would need to get advice on that.