• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety travelling in a car!

S

Stace2015

Hi up untill a year ago i was fine to travel in a car also wanted to pass my driving test.. i travelled in a car for almost 6 hrs (the longest iv ever done before) since then i avoid travelling in a car at all costs! if i do i have to sit in the back and play on my phone or re organise my bag and can only go on short trips no longer than 30mins. Even the thought of getting in a car makes me worried, sweat, feel dizzy like im going to pass out, short of breath and heart pounding.. its really getting me down and dont know what else to do?? has anyone else had this???

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hiya Stace.
You said that things changed after a trip that meant you'd spent 6 hours in a car - is that right?
Did anything else happen to change your feelings like an accident or anything?

It seems like quite a change in behaviour and there doesn't seem to be an obvious trigger for it.

I used to get lots of anxiety about travelling by car but to be honest my anxiety levels overall were high. So it was really just one manifestation of how bad things were overall.

Do you find you are anxious in general too, or is it very specific to travelling in a car?

S

Stace2015

Hi somerset scorpio thankyou for your message :) no accident happened but was very anxious and worried that it may have happened as never been that far from home before. I guess overall my anxiety level since then has also been quite high and just before that also as had my first child and also moved out of parents for very first time, iv noticed when im out shopping etc sometimes i get hot and feel dizzy etc.. the same as when im in a car, my son is turning 2 this year i wished the feeling would go away as im wanting to take my son places to visit etc in warmer weather but the anxiey attacks are putting me off even going out sometimes as im worried im going to get hot and dizzy etc again... just feels like a vicious circle :-(

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Hi Stace

This is a very hard problem. I used to be okay going by car, but when I became unwell I became more-or-less housebound, and rarely went out. Sometimes I could go short journeys in my Dad's or a support worker/nurses car, to appointments and stuff, but no distance at all, and I would have to be ready and 'psyched' up for it.

I lived with my folks at the time, and we didn't go on holiday for years cos of it. When we did go, we went to a fairly local place, about a hour's or so drive from where we live. I would be in the back with my eyes closed, and listening to music on my headphones, to shut out the journey and try to ease the worry.

My anxiety was emotional more than anything, ideas going round and round in my mind. But some of it was physical too: I would get a feeling in the pit of my belly, and would retch a lot as though to vomit, though I was never actually sick.

I'm okay in a car now, and go places with my folks, and sometimes my bro and my sis-in-law. I'm not sure why things changed. I was on various meds over the years, and maybe just time and keep trying it: going in a car for short journeys with people you trust :)

S

Stace2015

Thankyou for your msgs :) , i have recently found out iv travelled in a car to local town and was fine the whole time, iv also relised its not all to do with a car, iv been having anxiety last few days even attempting to leave home, i have pushed myself daily to at least go to local shop or take my son to local park/ play area, and some days i have it and others not at all or just a little :unsure: but the days i do get it i dont wanna leave my home. It really gets me down as its stopping me doing alot of things with my son as im worried i will have attack out, the only way i can stop the attack is to clean, organise something, or lie down at home.