• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety taking over my life

P

potatonugget

I was diagnosed with anxiety about five years ago. I've had times where it gets easier but it always comes back and never goes away. I don't know what to do anymore. I get suicidal thoughts because I don't see the point in living if life is not going to be enjoyable and always causes me pain. I have a job interview tomorrow and I feel like I can't breathe. It just seems like every small thing overwhelms me and sends me spiraling. If anyone has any ideas of what to do or ways they cope, that would be greatly appreciated.

FloofyPuppers

FloofyPuppers

I use the Welltory app to track my stress levels which effects my anxiety.

I also have issues trying to sleep at night, brain likes to keep running. For the last month or so I've been using Headspace's sleepcasts which has you do a small amount of wind down meditation and then puts you into a story with descriptions so your brain has something else to focus on other than your own thoughts.

Have they prescribed you anything to help treat your symptoms? If so, perhaps you feel like it's not working?

My sister had that issue with her depression and her new (at the time) therapist had her take a genetic test. Come to find out that the medications her previous doctor put her on actually made her feel worse due to the meds not working correctly with her DNA.

The test is called GeneSight if you'd like to look it up :)

Hope this helps and I really hope you feel better soon :)

P

potatonugget

Thank you. Yes im taking two types of medication but I feel like they are just helping with depression rather than my anxiety.

I

indigo6

Love your name potatonugget, made me smile.
Ok, anxiety feeds on your fear. It gets worse the worse you get.
So some of it may be the reaction to the anxiety if you get me.
What ways do you cope? By now 5 years you must have found something.
Tell you a secret, I fidget, I dont even know Im doing it. Its a discreet fidget. No one can tell. Though I become aware and hate it.
It dissipates the energy racing around when I have to be still.
Ok so it doesnt stop the anxiety it definitely stops me walking out of somewhere.
Try wiggling your toes. No one can see that. You can do it in time to a tune.
Breathing. Properly. Essential. Or you will overwhelm your body with o2. Which when you have no reason for it plays havoc.

Other than that do you think youre ready to be working? are you feeling ok with that?
What is it that makes you nervous about it?
They are only humans who(mostly ) are usually idiots who got to where they did because they kiss up very well.
No where near as sensitive or aware as you, which means you would be good with others much more than you realise.

P

potatonugget

I just get so anxious that im going to disappoint people as I feel like I'm not good enough. My main method of coping is just distracting myself but it just isn't enough sometimes. My brain just never shuts off. Thank you for your reply

I

indigo6

So many many people think the same and the surprise is..they are so much nicer /better than cocky people (mostly)
Its ok I get you. I have that too. Thats why I end up fidgeting is does work.
Whoever they are its only that 1 or 2 people not the world. Everyone has opinions and perspectives, doesnt mean they are right anyway. So no matter what you think they think, it doesnt really matter y'know :hug:

I

indigo6

Thats ok, youre welcome. Good luck, stay cool, update this thread tomorrow :hug:

P

potatonugget

Hiya, I got the job today but I'm not sure if I'm gonna take it. I've felt sick all day thinking about it and I've had a panic attack. I'm not sure if it's the best thing for me to do at the moment.

C

Charlene89

Hi I understand you. I've got two children. Since February my head's been a mess. I just worry and panic about everything. Now I struggle to get joy out of anything. I also don't see the point in living like this. I keep thinking will I ever get joy out of anything again. Will every part of life that's meant to be fun become a horrible experience. Will I ever be able to go out and enjoy the day? Or will I always be a worried, weak mess with a sickly stomach. I hate who I am now.

magpie3318

magpie3318

I was diagnosed with anxiety about five years ago. I've had times where it gets easier but it always comes back and never goes away. I don't know what to do anymore. I get suicidal thoughts because I don't see the point in living if life is not going to be enjoyable and always causes me pain. I have a job interview tomorrow and I feel like I can't breathe. It just seems like every small thing overwhelms me and sends me spiraling. If anyone has any ideas of what to do or ways they cope, that would be greatly appreciated.
Hey there, I’m so sorry that you’re feeling so down. I’m currently 20 years old and I have suffered with anxiety my whole life. Each day is a struggle, but eventually you’ll look back and see all the little things you can now do that you had once thought were impossible. I used to not be able to go to school or outside of my home without having a massive panic attack, but now I can confidently go eat with my friends without feeling nervous. I even stayed in a dorm last fall! I know that that may seem small, but when you have anxiety you have to learn to see the light in little things. My best advice for you and other’s who are suffering is to take it slow. Get therapy if you can. Start to vocalize when you’re feeling anxious. Tell your friends and family that are around you that you’re struggling and need help. The worst thing you can do is hold all of the bad feelings in. It’ll take time to get to a point where you’re happy and proud of yourself, I’m still pushing to get there, but the only other option is giving up. I hope this helps, let me know if you need anything!

magpie3318

magpie3318

Hi I understand you. I've got two children. Since February my head's been a mess. I just worry and panic about everything. Now I struggle to get joy out of anything. I also don't see the point in living like this. I keep thinking will I ever get joy out of anything again. Will every part of life that's meant to be fun become a horrible experience. Will I ever be able to go out and enjoy the day? Or will I always be a worried, weak mess with a sickly stomach. I hate who I am now.
Hey Charlene, I have those same fears. I’m only 20 but I’ve been struggling with my anxiety disorder since I was 7 and sometimes I get so overwhelmed with the idea that my whole life is going to be haunted by knots in my stomach and weight on my chest. The best thing I’ve found that helps my anxiety is to be vocal about it as soon as I feel it. Even though I sometimes feel ashamed telling my mom or friends “hey, I’m feeling very anxious and I don’t know why or how to fix it,” I’ve found that it takes some of the burden off of me because I’m not trying to pretend I’m happy or having a good time. I’ve also discovered that by making my feelings known, it’s also helped my friends vocalize their fears and anxieties because they know I won’t judge them.

Still, every day is a challenge and I can never pinpoint when a day will go sour, but if anxiety has given me anything, it’s hope. Hope that I’ll be able to breathe easier in the morning, hope that I’ll be able to live on my own someday, hope that I’ll finally be happy, hope for that light at the end of the tunnel. The way I see it, each bad day is one that I won’t have to relive again, and it gets me closer to a point where I’ll have more good.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Anxiety Forum 3
B Anxiety Forum 5
J Anxiety Forum 2
J Anxiety Forum 1
Coniferlands Anxiety Forum 19