• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anxiety sufferer looking for a friendly chat.

S

stuart4476

Hi everybody, I'm Stuart I'm 44 from Yorkshire and my anxiety and panic disorder has gradually got worse the older I've got. I was always a shy person and hated school so left ASAP and never had the confidence to try and get a job and being unemployed affects your self esteem. I've no idea what to do about a job now though which adds to the worry. I just couldn't get past my social anxiety worrying I might look silly in front of people or not know what to do or encounter somebody with a nasty attitude. I've never had a girlfriend either and it hurts being alone so long. I now worry a lot about my parents leaving me and becoming homeless as they have nothing to leave me. My main symptom has always been hyperventilating, not actually gasping but rapid breathing which can put me into a state for weeks even months where I feel I'm suffocating but to look at me you'd think I was fine apart from me having to lay on my bed nearly all day as any exertion when I'm like that turns into a panic attack. Now my new symptom which seems to have replaced that is feeling like I'm swaying when I get up and try to walk, it's like I'm drunk and I have a tense dizzy feeling in my head. I'd take the hyperventilating over this as it's horrible. I'm not on medication but going to talk to the doctor tomorrow. Anybody else have these symptoms?

Jolly

Jolly

Welcome. Forum will be around shortly to advise and help you. I am pleased you are going to see the GP. You may also need to see a therapist. I do mindfulness and deep breathing which helps control symptoms. Mindfulness has to done every day and takes a while to be able to do it properly. Lots of videos on YouTube

Bod

Bod

Welcome to the forum Stuart, I hope you can settle here as everyone is so caring and very helpful.

S

stuart4476

I haven't left my home for nearly 4 years and definitely can't now with my new symptom feeling dizzy like I'm swaying so I'll have to just get a phone call from my doctor. I hope it is anxiety really or there's something seriously wrong with me but it sounds like it. I've seen 2 therapists in the past but it didn't do much for me. I'll look up the vids thanks

T

Taylor3

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi please message when you feel ready - no pressure ok

S

stuart4476

No better today, feel like there's a pressure in my head and feel really dizzy and panicky. A bit better when I lay down. It's giving me headache. My GP isn't there while Wednesday but anti depressants take ages to work anyway. I'd like some proper anxiety drugs that work quick but they won't give me them.

Bluejay7500

Bluejay7500

No better today, feel like there's a pressure in my head and feel really dizzy and panicky. A bit better when I lay down. It's giving me headache. My GP isn't there while Wednesday but anti depressants take ages to work anyway. I'd like some proper anxiety drugs that work quick but they won't give me them.
Tell them it’s “unbearable” anxiety. That should get through to them. It took changing GP to get the proper anti anxiety meds for me. I don’t take them anymore but that’s because the meds helped me so much I don’t need them anymore. Good luck!

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

They won’t prescribe you benzos pretty much ever. As annoying as it is the basic advice about exercise is still relevant. You won’t get prescribed anything that’s short acting.

S

stuart4476

I wish I could go back to the hyperventiling and ovetbreathing as the light headedness and dizziness is so much worse. There's nothing more frightening feeling like you're passing out.

S

stuart4476

Now I'm having trouble walking and moving my legs which is very scarey it's like I've had a stroke. I've had migraine all day but it's finally gone, Has anybody else had not being able to move legs and walk properly.

Hocotatian

Hocotatian

Sounds scary. Is there anyone with you right now? I think if I was with someone experiencing what you are I would be phoning for help- to get it ruled out anything physical is happening first before treating the anxiety.

S

stuart4476

I live with my parents they know I've felt dizzy but not told them I'm having trouble walking. It's probably just psychological hopefully.

Bluejay7500

Bluejay7500

Do you get this with anxiety? Just thinking about it is worrying for me. I would phone a doctor or change meds. Sometimes I admit when I don’t feel well I won’t take my meds. I know it’s wrong but I try the other days. That can make me feel dizzy and lightheaded. I hope you feel better.