• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anxiety = stomach problems and IBS

S

strawberrywater

My doctor diagnosed me with IBS a couple years ago. However, that was when I was working full time, commuting was awful, and I hated the job. My stomach/intestines rumbled all the time, and without giving all the gross details, I was just in the bathroom a lot. Sometimes I also had nausea. I was also in a relationship at one point, but I get bad anxiety with that so I stay single. I get so nervous around a partner that I throw up. Never attractive lol.

When I changed jobs (located in a very short walking distance) I didn't have the stomach problems so bad. And being single helped lol

Now I don't work and rarely have these issues. I have a high sensitivity to the smell of food (I hate it) and the people in my apartment building cook really smelly stuff all the time. The moment I smell it - instant run to the bathroom. I've dealt with more minor physical issues because my household shares 1 bathroom, and I always have to wait to use it because my parents take so long - so I'm holding in for literally 20-30 minutes sometimes in extreme agony, pretty much every day.

So for about 4 years I just have constant stomach issues. Several different doctors don't think my anxiety is bad enough to be treated, other than counseling, which I can't do because I don't have health insurance or a job to pay for it. Even if I was working, there's literally no time to go to a counselor.

Anyone else deal with stomach problems with their anxiety? How have you coped? What new or natural methods can I try when I have symptoms?

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

Curiously, the antidepressant Venlaxine sometimes is good in dealing with IBS. Think it has something to do with serotonin being involved in that part of the body.

M

MarshmallowBeans

Hello there. I too suffer from anxiety and I too have been diagnosed with IBS; Specifically Ulcerative Colitis. I'm saddened to hear your doctors aren't taking you seriously on this issue as it is impacting your life so much. For my IBS I was given medication to manage it and luckily at the moment it's staying under control. Whilst sufferent a flare though I was recommened a diet consisting of stodgy, bland foods. I understand this might not be effective for you if you have an aversion to food though/you're already doing it.

S

strawberrywater

Whilst sufferent a flare though I was recommened a diet consisting of stodgy, bland foods. I understand this might not be effective for you if you have an aversion to food though/you're already doing it.
This is a good idea actually. I try to stick to plain foods like plain cereal, toast, fruits. Dinner is always the issue because I usually get a bad stomach ache, but I need to eat something substantial. Awhile back my doc put me on the low FODMAP diet and I will try it again for a few weeks. It helped a bit before.

M

MarshmallowBeans

I hope it helps you. I've been having trouble eating anything lately; been so anxious I just feel sick. I hope I start to get back on track soon.

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah, anxiety happens in my stomach too, think it affects digestion as well. We digest food better when we're calm.

M

MarshmallowBeans

You said it. It's really horrible. Do you have any tricks you use to help you eat?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Hello there. I too suffer from anxiety and I too have been diagnosed with IBS; Specifically Ulcerative Colitis. I'm saddened to hear your doctors aren't taking you seriously on this issue as it is impacting your life so much. For my IBS I was given medication to manage it and luckily at the moment it's staying under control.
IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) is not what you have, you have one form of IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease), which is much more serious. Sorry to be picky but I didn't want anyone else reading that and confusing the two as well.

M

MarshmallowBeans

Thank you for the clarification actually, that's perfectly fine. You're not being picky at all, you want proper medical information displayed.

J

Jadenatalie3

With you there. I have nausea and horrible stomach issues, cramps, wind, diarrhoea etc. Ssris calm me down and make the symptoms go away but unfortunately the good ssri pooped out on me and I was stuck with ones that only gave me more side effects. So now I'm off the meds trying to manage my anxiety on my own. X

JessisMe

JessisMe

You might qualify for Medicaid in your state which covers therapy. Might be something to look into. xo, j