Anxiety physical symptom affecting my life, just sharing my experience

J

JGri98

Hi guys, first off all I'm not an english native speaker, so spell checks are welcome :)
I'm only a 20 year old male and I feel really bad having all of this so young.
Anyway, after some time browsing the web I found this website and I thought about sharing my experience as it's being hard to deal with my problems alone, I'm just looking for someone who can relate and tell me how they dealt/are dealing with their problems.
So my problems started about 6 months ago. I was having bad back pain always on the same spot and started thinking it was something more then just muscular pain, so I started googling and after reading about all it could relate too my anxiety started appearing.
I'm going through a hard time, don't want to overwhelm you guys with the "thousands" of symptoms I have but I'll share the ones that never went away. The one symptom I feel the most are the chest pains, chest squeezes, chest sharp pains, heart pounding feeling even though my hear rate is normal, all of that. The difficulty breathing (even though that isn't happening for a while), the back pain, in my chest area and shoulders, like my muscles are stuck and sore all the time...
I also have bad heartburn sometimes, but it's being controlled with some medication.
Sometimes I have awful muscle spasms, and it can happen anywhere.
Having bad stomach aches and irritated bowels, my stomach is always sore, just by pressing it's really painful sometimes.
And lately it's all getting worse, I've been developing a new symptom, like the feeling I'm always off balance, my head is foggy and it's really hard to concentrate. I feel like I can't stand still and I'm off balance even sitting down or laying down. Can't seem to focus my vision and I have some headaches out of nowhere.
It's really affecting my life, I have a lovely girlfriend and friends for life, but sometimes I feel like I even avoid leaving my house in fear of something happening, if that makes sense...
My brother is a doctor and that's one of the positives I have in my favor, talking to him always relaxes me, he always reasures me it's all in my head and I don't have any life threatening condition.
I've already done blood test, and ECG, and x-ray to my lungs and also thyroid exams and all came back negative.
I'm at university and I can barely study cause I just can't focus on anything except my problems. Sometimes when I'm in class or just chilling with my friends I have to pretend I need to go to the bathroom or something just to calm myself down...
It's affecting my sleep aswell, everything is out of order.
As you guys can see I'm going through a really hard time and just wanted to share this with people who can understand me.
I've been avoiding medication but do you think it's the way to go?
Thank you to everyone who took some of their time just to hear me and help me in advance :)

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hello and :welcome: to the forum. All you describe could be down to extreme anxiety as you know because you posted in the Anxiety area. I would suggest initially medication to get the worst under control and then therapy to try to get to the bottom of why you are feeling so anxious. This has to have a cause somewhere.

Have you had an event which triggered this? Something which caused you to start with these feelings? Or maybe you don't feel worthwhile and suddenly those fears are catching up with you? Try and tell us a little more about why you think you are experiencing these awful feelings.

J

JGri98

Hello and :welcome: to the forum. All you describe could be down to extreme anxiety as you know because you posted in the Anxiety area. I would suggest initially medication to get the worst under control and then therapy to try to get to the bottom of why you are feeling so anxious. This has to have a cause somewhere.

Have you had an event which triggered this? Something which caused you to start with these feelings? Or maybe you don't feel worthwhile and suddenly those fears are catching up with you? Try and tell us a little more about why you think you are experiencing these awful feelings.
Hi :)
To be honest I don't really know what got this triggered... Imo it might be something that I recently saw it describes as "health anxiety" if you know what I mean. That might be the only reason... After the first "fear" I guess all of this evolved into a snowball effect with new symptoms appearing every now and then...
I have talked to my brother that suffered from something similar and he managed to fight this off with no medication or help, just be learning techniques to "control" himself. I think this is what I really want to do.
I would really like to avoid medication being this young, do you think that's not wise?
Again, thank you for the help :)

Last edited:
S

Ste123

I really hope you get this sorted and learn to control it. Having a Dr as a brother will surely give you a great chance to get some expert advice and take back control. Some of the things you have described are exactly what I’m feeling, the chest and back pains, the tightness and shortness of breath. Even though I know it’s the anxiety and nothing more I can’t convince myself and can’t help but over think everything I’m feeling. It really is affecting everything I do at the minute.
Hopefully if you find something that works for you you can share it, I’m willing to try anything before medication at the moment.

Good luck and stay positive 👍

J

JGri98

I really hope you get this sorted and learn to control it. Having a Dr as a brother will surely give you a great chance to get some expert advice and take back control. Some of the things you have described are exactly what I’m feeling, the chest and back pains, the tightness and shortness of breath. Even though I know it’s the anxiety and nothing more I can’t convince myself and can’t help but over think everything I’m feeling. It really is affecting everything I do at the minute.
Hopefully if you find something that works for you you can share it, I’m willing to try anything before medication at the moment.

Good luck and stay positive ��
Hi, you feel like you share most of my pains. It's awful but we both we'll get through this and emerge even better.
Today I talked to my brother and a psychiatrist that he knows and recommends said it would be better to try soft medication before bed cus I'm really struggling to rest and it's making everything 10x worse. I think I'll give it a shot.
I was also adviced to do a lot of physical exercise as it really helps and to use less the cellphone/computer or any of the sort as it makes the recovery harder.
Hope you find your peace as I'm sure you will!

Last edited: