• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anxiety / Panic Attacks Symptoms & Meds

H

hirwin

Hello. For the last 2 yrs. I believe I have been suffering from anxiety/panic attacks. I have a heart condition so of course when these symptoms started I immediately thought it was my heart condition, which has made the anxiety worse. I have been suffering w/ vertigo, memory loss, and other things. I have seen 2 cardiologists that tell me my heart condition hasn't changed and these problems are not heart-related. I also saw an ENT, who said my ears do not seem to be the problem either, but has ordered some vestibular testing to be sure. A few weeks ago my PCP ordered a carotid artery dopler, which came back normal, with no obstruction, plaque or stenosis in the carotid arteries, so I guess blood flow to my brain is not an issue. The vertigo is on a daily basis off an on throughout the day. I often feel like I'm swaying back and forth or the room is swaying. Almost like you feel when you get off a boat and have to adjust to being on land again. I also have what I believe to be panic attacks. These usually occur while going to a crowded place, such as a restaraunt or store. I will get the vertigo twice as bad and feel as though I'm going to fall over, I get a hot flash that runs through my body usually from the ground up and then through my neck which results in a pressure in my head, my palms and soles of my feel begin to sweat and I feel like I have to leave the place immediately. Once I'm out of the situation I feel much better and calm down. My PCP prescribed Xanax for me to take as needed at .25 mg. It does help but I don't feel it's enough. My questions are, can anxiety / panic attacks cause all of these symptoms and what meds are good to take for daily control in addition to the xanax? I have taken Prozac before after the birth of my son because I had PPD and stopped it after awhile. It seemed to work well for me, but I know it's an older drug. Would it be good for these situations? A few years ago I took Effexor becuause my gyn. thought I was depressed after filling out some questionaire. I almost immediately gained 20 lbs. and if I wasn't depressed before that I was then. I weaned myself off and am still trying to lose the weight. Thank you for any help or suggestions!

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
The symptoms you describe all sound like what I get when I'm having a panic attack except the vertigo - has your gp checked for an inner ear infection? I had this before and the symptoms of your vertigo sound like that.

H

hirwin

new meds

Hi emac1. Yes they checked my ears and did say there was some fluid in them but no infection or anything else they thought should cause vertigo. i went to my PCP the other day and she has prescribed Prozac 20 mg. once a day to go w/ my xanax.. does this sound like a good combo?

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Its different for everyone - some people take prozac and think its great, other (like me) it doesn't work with. You need to give it a couple of months to see how it works. I was just at my Psych today and was telling him that I'm now getting scared to tell him when somethings not working for me cos I've been tried on so many and now I'm scared in case they think I'm making it up!! But to get back to the point its all trial and error. Is xanax proprananol? I took that when I started getting panic attacks and it worked as a short term solution but then I got worse. I think it depends how severe your anxiety is.