• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety over swallowing pills

A

Art78

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem. I've always had anxiety over swallowing a pill. But to get out of crazy- I knew I had to get over it. So for 11 yrs I've been taking pills before bed.
I started having more manias and tons of panic attacks at age 40. During that time pills were notoriously getting stuck in my throat. This would stress me out, I didn't want to lay down and sleep. I had to drink more water, eat something. Nothing helped. It was so bad I was afraid to take my pills and missed doses. Which of course made things worse.

Now I eat my gummy vitamins after I swallow. I think they are sticky and grab the stuck pill. Works Everytime!

My panic attacks and anxieties are better now. So that makes taking medicine easier.

Memememememememe

Memememememememe

Are you taking them with enough water? That should make them go down easily.

A

Art78

Yes, tons of water. And I drink some before I take them. I've looked up things that help the problem. I've wondered if it's health related. A nurse told me it just feels that way, but that doesn't make sense either. But honestly the gummies help. Maybe I'm just an idiot in swallowing pills. But I think all the anxiety was making it worse, like mentally you are making it happen ( because you fear it will.)
Just wondering if it's a bipolar thing and others experience it too.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I have trouble swallowing pills, I take with diet Coke now so I can't taste the pill.
I find it helps.
I try to relax and take one at a time.
You can get some meds in liquid form.
Hugs

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
I am hopeless taking pills. I look like a pelican trying to neck a rainbow trout.

I need complete silence...total concentration...and about two pints of water to swallow pills which are half the size of Tic Tacs. :redface:

Zero One

Zero One

I have this and have some difficulty with involuntary muscle groups while taking pills in the morning