• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

anxiety outside of episodes

B

Berg

Hi everyone.

I've been episode free for about 3 months now, a really stable mood with my insight, sanity and intellect in tact. Which of course feels good - it's wishful thinking that I won't relapse ever again but here's to wishful thinking I guess. I've dedicated this awful lockdown to basically committing to my medication and have been teetotal for a solid year too which I think has helped.

However, OUTSIDE of major depressive or manic episodes, are any of you similar to me in the fact that you are basically crippled in anxiety? I'm relatively high functioning outside of episodes and most people would never know I have bipolar- of course when I'm unwell this is a completely different story and I am very low functioning and need a lot of support.

It's just strange, I was wondering if anyone else is the same way? Even when my mood is stable I find there's a constant feeling of anxiety and it is something I'm struggling with. I'm wondering if I need anything else but I already take two medications (lithium + an antidepressant). Perhaps I have an anxiety disorder alongside bipolar - my PDOC agrees on probable OCD but she hasn't really offered much support with this.

Any advice or kind words would be appreciative.

Z

Zoe1

yes I have an undercurrent of worry going on
especially with the lockdown and reduced company

is it possible you can make more phone calls to friends ?

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi, Berg! Bipolar 1 here. I have never had anxiety between manias except for the anxiety caused by the effects of my mania. I would check in with your pdoc about it. You might have an anxiety disorder that may be treatable. To learn more about anxiety disorders in general you can check out out anxiety forum by going to the top of the page, clicking on Forums and scrolling down. I hope this is helpful! xo, j

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
There are medications that you can take for your anxiety that can be really helpful and you only need to take them ifyou feel particularly anxious. I’m dx schitzoaffective with depression and severe anxiety apart from other meds i take propanalol and lorazepam for anxiety and both of them work pretty quick . Maybe have a word with your p/doc and see if they’ll give you something to Help the anxiety

M

manicmonday

I have anxiety alongside my bipolar and find that breathing and meditation help a fair bit, particularly if I'm having a full blown panic attack.

HLon99

HLon99

I suffer from anxiety outside from episodes, including panic attacks. The medication that I am on right now has helped with the attacks, but I still experience a high level of background anxiety.

I'm looking into getting therapy, but with the current coronavirus situation it has been hard to find anything. Perhaps speak to your pdoc about getting a referral to a psychologist. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to oblige. As a general rule of thumb psychiatrist can't really do much for anxiety apart from prescribe more meds, and they will be reluctant to prescribe valium unless anxiety is very severe, due to high addictive potential. I would suggest looking into therapy, I find talking in general really helps take a load off my shoulders.

In the meantime, self help via meditation and exercise would be your best bet.

Hope you feel better soon
-H

Jess96

Jess96

I suffer with anxiety out side of episodes all the time but I also have complex PTSD I was recently and under a care team and they gave me promazine which is the only medication that has ever worked for my anxiety it also helps with irritation maybe asks your doctor about it. I hope you find somthing that helps you because it’s horrible I know x