Anxiety or paranoia?

C

Confusedandanxious

I cant work out if I deal with anxiety or paranoia, or possibly a combination of them both.

Anxiety I feel is where I feel the dread of something happening.
The other is what I feel is possible paranoia.

Examples:

When out I feel everyone is looking at me and judging me. This goes as far as being convinced they're thinking how stupid I am, that I'm walking funny, that I'm a freak etc.
This sometimes leads to me doing things I dont want to do as the thoughts leave me with no where to turn.
Say i go into a shop for milk and there is no milk. I will think that people think that I've gone in there for nothing, that I'm scoping it out to steal, that I'm a freak and so I will buy something I dont want or need. The thought of just leaving leads me to all of those thoughts again and so I have to pick the lesser of the two evils. Which is purchasing something useless. That's if I even make it to the shop as the anxiety often stops me (fear of what could happen).

This happens over the simplest of things.
Is it anxiety or paranoia or both?

tulipnjesse

tulipnjesse

I cant work out if I deal with anxiety or paranoia, or possibly a combination of them both.

Anxiety I feel is where I feel the dread of something happening.
The other is what I feel is possible paranoia.

Examples:

When out I feel everyone is looking at me and judging me. This goes as far as being convinced they're thinking how stupid I am, that I'm walking funny, that I'm a freak etc.
This sometimes leads to me doing things I dont want to do as the thoughts leave me with no where to turn.
Say i go into a shop for milk and there is no milk. I will think that people think that I've gone in there for nothing, that I'm scoping it out to steal, that I'm a freak and so I will buy something I dont want or need. The thought of just leaving leads me to all of those thoughts again and so I have to pick the lesser of the two evils. Which is purchasing something useless. That's if I even make it to the shop as the anxiety often stops me (fear of what could happen).

This happens over the simplest of things.
Is it anxiety or paranoia or both?

I've had the same feelings too. I get extremely anxious and self-conscious in the stores. I feel like I have to come out of there with something, like I'm being followed around or watched. I put it all down to extreme anxiety. I consider paranoia to be much more serious like thinking you see things that are not really there like on your television, computer, or phone, making connections that aren't really there, and thinking someone is really after you. I suffer from MDD as well as PTSD, so I've actually been through some of that, so I'm aware of the differences.

C

Confusedandanxious

Thank you. I guess you can never underestimate the lengths anxiety can go really.
I'd of thought what you explained would be classed as delusions. I'm still learning though

Jef Costello

Jef Costello

Not an M.D.

From what I can infer from your explanation of symptoms there are 3 diagnosises relevant. Paranoid personality disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and social anxiety disorder. The first one sounds unlikely. It's either one of the latter or a combination of both, if I had to put my finger on it. I suffer from the same symptoms as you do in similar situations. I was first diagnosed with SAD+GAD and then AvPD.

Pure speculation based on empirical experiences so take what I say with a grain of salt.

tulipnjesse

tulipnjesse

Thank you. I guess you can never underestimate the lengths anxiety can go really.
I'd of thought what you explained would be classed as delusions. I'm still learning though
I called it paranoia, experienced it as paranoia during a time of unbearable anxiety and depression, a major depressive episode with psychosis (that was the dx). Yeah, anxiety (I have GAD too) is just crazy, but I know my PTSD effects that and makes it even worse.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my friend took me to see his private dr the dr dangled this diagnosis in front of me paranoia inducing anxiety

C

Confusedandanxious

Thanks all. I do have a diagnosis of GAD and cptsd. I have spoken about avoidant personality with my CPN and I do fit the criteria but I dont think it's gone down as an actual diagnosis.

It seems likely that it is extreme anxiety judging by the comments.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Sorry to but in (but you know I am going to), but I fail to see how having a label is suddenly going to give the self-confidence needed to hold one's head up high, and not worry about what others' may or may not be thinking... and without self confidence it is sooooo obviously easy to be intimidated...

C

Confusedandanxious

Sorry to but in (but you know I am going to), but I fail to see how having a label is suddenly going to give the self-confidence needed to hold one's head up high, and not worry about what others' may or may not be thinking... and without self confidence it is sooooo obviously easy to be intimidated...
Thank you. You're completely right really. I dont know what it is, I end up in this position time and time again trying to figure myself out. No label is going to change how I think. I should be focused on how to change that.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Me, be right, that's got to be a first :) My take on things looking back at my own mental health though is concentrate on my issues, understand them, and once they are understood I am two thirds to over coming them :)

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
but in this country if the condition efffects your ability to work to the extent you can't support yourself, to argue my tired old argument you need the label for the benefits

C

Confusedandanxious

but in this country if the condition efffects your ability to work to the extent you can't support yourself, to argue my tired old argument you need the label for the benefits
That is true. Thankfully my current labels do qualify me for extra help and support. I would be a mess if they didnt. I thank my lucky stars all of the time as I know people who suffer worse than me who have been turned down. It's a shame

OCDguy

OCDguy

Yeap I understand what you are saying :)