• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anxiety only when isolated

D

Dgjn12345

Hi all,

I’ve been living with GAD with mild agoraphobia for years now and have it, mainly, under control. I do,unfortunately, control it by avoidance/crutches and am looking to unlearn these behaviours.

the main thing I tend to rely on is always being within reach of someone, whether it’s cars on a road, or housing/people. If ever I feel like I’m completely isolated, I start to really focus on my symptoms (over breathing and constantly trying to swallow).One example is going for a run along a country road; I’ll start to feel the effects but, as soon as a car comes along, I’m fine.

I really want to lose this reliance on being within reach of people and am wondering if anyone has had a similar thing. I knowa lot of people suffering with agoraphobia don’t like places with lots of people, but this seems to be the opposite…
Thanks in advance

P

PropertyCavalier

Slow exposure therapy might help? Or having someone to call on at anytime? Just having that piece of mind might relieve your feelings?I don't have experience myself, but I wish you all the best :)

C

Calmrage

Hi all,

I’ve been living with GAD with mild agoraphobia for years now and have it, mainly, under control. I do,unfortunately, control it by avoidance/crutches and am looking to unlearn these behaviours.

the main thing I tend to rely on is always being within reach of someone, whether it’s cars on a road, or housing/people. If ever I feel like I’m completely isolated, I start to really focus on my symptoms (over breathing and constantly trying to swallow).One example is going for a run along a country road; I’ll start to feel the effects but, as soon as a car comes along, I’m fine.

I really want to lose this reliance on being within reach of people and am wondering if anyone has had a similar thing. I knowa lot of people suffering with agoraphobia don’t like places with lots of people, but this seems to be the opposite…
Thanks in advance
The only way is to expose yourself to it accept what's happening to your body and know that it's not permanent and will not last forever . Our bodies can only spike adrenaline dumps for a little time Wich is what our attacks are generally based on . Have a safety pillow at first and only use it till you feel your ok without it . If you ever need to talk I'm here.