• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety of living alone

S

SeguoIlMioCammino

I have had anxiety for a very long time. I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety at the age of 6. I also have social anxiety. But what I wanted to do is discuss my anxiety of living alone.

I am an American who went to uni in the UK. 10000 km (6000 miles) away from home. I always had a lot of anxiety when I was away from my family and living on my own. When I first lived alone as a teenager, plus a foreign student at university, it created huge anxiety. I got over some of it, but it always came back. I am grateful for my time in the UK, because it gave me a lot of life experience, not only from living in a foreign country, but also living alone. But the anxiety remained.

Now I plan to apply to medical schools in Italy. This course is six years long almost anywhere in Europe. I have to live alone, for what looks to be a very long time. Now that I plan to live alone and will almost undoubtedly get the same type of loneliness anxiety, how should I cope?

I am 30, so I am more mature than before. But I still have this weird anxiety from being away from home and my parents. I do not want to sound like some small boy who is afraid, I mean I am an adult. But it just gives me a lot of anxiety anyway.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Have you thought about sharing with another student I’m sure there will be many more like you that dont want to live alone. Or would there be hall of residence that you could go to