Anxiety need help

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I suffer social anxiety along with other mh conditions and suffer a high pulse rate . I was told to buy a pulse meter which I carry with me. But only check when I’m feeling palpitations. In fact I’m seeing the gp today as she won’t give me a repeat beta blocker without seeing me but my resting pulse was 125 and the other night it was 164 and I was on the verge of phoning 111. It rarely goes below 100 but it does say on the web normal pulse can be between 70 and 100 so you well within the limits

L

Lashaie2012

Yes I always drink water constantly but mouth tends to always be dry and my heart rate only goes up when I get in a panic or I am very nervous. It is usually pretty good while I’m at home or out doing things

P

Pollypop

Sounds like you are doing many of the helpful things.
Do you think that having the pulse monitor on your watch
may have caused you. more worry than being helpful.

Only an idea.

P

Pollypop

Congratulations. I think you have gained real insight
into what has been happening.

Keep up the confidence you have shown with each post.

I wish you well Pollypop x

M

MT1

I have the Apple Watch and constantly check my heart rate and I feel like it’s making things worse . Everyone says to turn it off but I still keep it on, any suggestions ?
I suggest you to keep it off if it makes you uncomfortable however if your daily routine is good enough to be healthy don’t worry about your health.

L

Lashaie2012

Yeah it’s been off and my anxiety hasn’t been too bad

G

gam9147

Yes its interesting how for each of us different symptoms cause more or less anxiety. I get drymouth and heartburn but I've learned they are OK. Just keep drinking water (hydrating is good for you anyways, so there is no downside there), and heartburn is something I can put up with knowing it goes away when I do feel better.

But recently started getting tired and sleepy and that makes me incredibly anxious, I haven't talked my way through that one yet, seems a bit silly logically but it excites my fear of not being able to do things or complete tasks.

L

Lashaie2012

I hate dry mouth but I had a panic attack about a hour and half ago

G

gam9147

I'm sorry to hear that :( But do try to remember as you work through this that panic attacks are not harmful and the more you go through the easier it will get. You can handle the physical symptoms you are a strong person!

L

Lashaie2012

The big problem is that everything I feel my heart racing I think im going to have a heart attack so I panic more

G

gam9147

I understand. Same with me and the tired, which is happening now, but I'm trying to remind myself its OK to be tired. It's OK to have a racing heart rate, and it does not cause heart attacks. If you were actually having a heart attack you'd have many many other symptoms besides just the racing heart. I'm not sure if would help you to feel better or worse, but for me (only when I feel OK) it may help to google some facts about heart attacks and facts about high pulse to help you better understand medically what is occurring. Sometimes that can be a comfort.

For example, I was having panic attacks around eating because I thought I was having low blood sugar (I'm diabetic). I had a scan monitor and I was scanning it and for a while it even did report I was having low blood sugar! It freaked me out even more. But I talked to several doctors and looked up more about low blood sugar incidents and realized I would be having different symptoms if it was low blood sugar, and they wouldn't go away on their own.

Heart attacks also don't go away. So the fact that you've had this happen many times before and it has gone away each time (eventually), should be more evidence for you that it is not in fact a heart attack.

I hope that helps! I know that line of thought processes is *very very* hard to do when you are having panic attacks, I personally understand and have been exactly where you are at with different medical conditions.

L

Lashaie2012

Googling makes it worse and I know the other symptoms of heart attack cause im
In school to become a nurse. My problem
Is that I overthink

L

Lashaie2012

Like now my chest is burning and it’s just lingering so that freaks me out

G

gam9147

Yes I know, then yes don't google, it does make it worse for a lot of folks. The lingering symptoms are the worst, I agree. I apologize if you've said it elsewhere but have you considered cognitive behavioral therapy? it is very very effective for panic attack sufferers like yourself. Stay strong, you will get through this!

Edit: oops you did say you were seeing a therapist. Glad to hear! is it a cognitive behavioral one? how long have you been going? It takes time of course. Breathing is the best thing to start with but that takes time to start working too. Just make sure you keep practicing even when it seems difficult. (advice I need to take myself too!)

G

L

Lashaie2012

Thanks and yes I see a therapist weekly . It helps a lot I just can’t figure out why it is still lingering . I try so hard to fight it off. I just wish it go away I don’t want to be on medication for life

G

gam9147

There is no one that fights anxiety harder than me, it just takes time. How long has it been? I've been with my therapist 4 weeks, and yes.. still lingering still a problem.

Is your therapist cognitive behavioral or what techniques are they using? I'm glad to hear its helping! just stay positive and look forward to your next therapy visit and the calm times.

G

L

Lashaie2012

Yes she is and it’s helping just have to stop worrying so much