• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety leading to depression?

whyme88

whyme88

I have been suffering from anxiety and depression my whole life. It's only recently that I began to understand more about my condition. All these years I tried to ignore it, thought that I am probably too sensitive or too mentally weak.

I noticed that I usually go through periods of anxiery and depression. Sometime I can go on for days, and even weeks feeling normal. Then if there is a trigger the overthinking and worrying will start. This will be followed by anxiety and then spiral into depression. Sometimes it gets better quickly but sometimes it lingers around for days.

A good example of a trigger is the other thread I've created about friends. Basically I had a bad experience going out with 2 so called friends and they have contacted me recently to go out again. I really don't want to go out and now feeling very anxious about what to say when they ask. Also feel very depressed at how I was made fun of the last time we were out. They both just ganged up and targetted me. I suspect they just want me to go out so they can do this to me. If I am with only one of them this doesn't happen.

I am an introvert and due to my condition I don't have any real friends to talk to. At work I put on a mask and people think that I am always happy. At home I take off this mask and face my miserable life. Sometimes I find solace online as I would have few people who understands and chats without prejudice. But in real life it's really hard to keep this all inside me.

I am nearly 40 and ashamed that mentally I am still struggling... help.

H

Hallohallo

are you still here friend?

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Don't feel ashamed that you are still struggling mentally. Would you feel ashamed if you had cancer? An illness is an illness, whether it's physical or mental, and there is nothing to be ashamed of.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I think a lot of people who have depression wear the mask around other people and take it off when they're alone, to face their demons.

jajingna

jajingna

Anxiety and depression are closely related, sometimes it's hard to tell one from the other, and they often happen at the same time. It's hard pretending to be happy when you really feel down. People do this all the time to be socially acceptable or get along at work. And us introverts get drained from being social longer than we want. A few hours around people is generally enough for me to want to be alone. Especially talkative people who want you to join in on the activity they enjoy. You could tell people you are introverted and that you like alone time for quiet. We're not some rare species. Lots of people are like this.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I have been suffering from anxiety and depression my whole life. It's only recently that I began to understand more about my condition. All these years I tried to ignore it, thought that I am probably too sensitive or too mentally weak.

I noticed that I usually go through periods of anxiery and depression. Sometime I can go on for days, and even weeks feeling normal. Then if there is a trigger the overthinking and worrying will start. This will be followed by anxiety and then spiral into depression. Sometimes it gets better quickly but sometimes it lingers around for days.

A good example of a trigger is the other thread I've created about friends. Basically I had a bad experience going out with 2 so called friends and they have contacted me recently to go out again. I really don't want to go out and now feeling very anxious about what to say when they ask. Also feel very depressed at how I was made fun of the last time we were out. They both just ganged up and targetted me. I suspect they just want me to go out so they can do this to me. If I am with only one of them this doesn't happen.

I am an introvert and due to my condition I don't have any real friends to talk to. At work I put on a mask and people think that I am always happy. At home I take off this mask and face my miserable life. Sometimes I find solace online as I would have few people who understands and chats without prejudice. But in real life it's really hard to keep this all inside me.

I am nearly 40 and ashamed that mentally I am still struggling... help.
Anxiety and Depression are often interrelated. They are two sides of the same coin.

Don't beat yourself up because you're sensitive, some of us are much more attuned to the 'signals' which set of anxiety attacks or depression. It's a function of our brains hardwiring and the 'software' we develop through events in our life.

You need people to talk to, share things with. We all do, that helps alleviate our feelings of being alone against the world at at the whim of forces beyond our control. If you don't have a lot of friends-and making new ones is especially difficult now-you can share your thoughts in this forum. Many of the folks here are battling the same afflictions you are, we find strength and comfort in our shared struggles. Take care.

whyme88

whyme88

Anxiety and Depression are often interrelated. They are two sides of the same coin.

Don't beat yourself up because you're sensitive, some of us are much more attuned to the 'signals' which set of anxiety attacks or depression. It's a function of our brains hardwiring and the 'software' we develop through events in our life.

You need people to talk to, share things with. We all do, that helps alleviate our feelings of being alone against the world at at the whim of forces beyond our control. If you don't have a lot of friends-and making new ones is especially difficult now-you can share your thoughts in this forum. Many of the folks here are battling the same afflictions you are, we find strength and comfort in our shared struggles. Take care.
Thanks buddy. I appreciate your reply.