• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

"Anxiety is in your body, not your mind"

jajingna

jajingna

That's an article I just read. Well, our brains do different things. One part is concerned with survival. Another part with thinking. The survival part sees threats, goes into those stress modes, fight or flee, hormones get active, you feel tension. The thinking part tells you to calm down. What's going on in the body isn't changed much by the thinking. Another approach is needed. You can tell yourself it's OK and not a big deal and that might alleviate it a little, but I guess the body has its own way of doing things and doesn't respond much to what the thinking part of the brain does. If it's mostly just hormones, thinking won't change their activity. Maybe if the "threat" is removed somehow, the stress will be less.

Anyway, just something to think about.

BoutonLune

BoutonLune

But if our anxiety appears over threats that don't exist. Does that not mean our thinking brain has had to trigger the survival part of our brain for it to activate the response so to speak?

I am finding this quite difficult to understand. Like why our survival instincts would kick in when there is no real threat other than our thinking brain causing it 🤔

I'm talking about suffering excessive anxiety, not natural situations where it is valid.

BoutonLune

BoutonLune

Or is it that some of us have an overactive survival brain?

Sorry I did try reading the article but my concentration is a little off today 😊

jajingna

jajingna

It's a good question. I was listening to a social anxiety coach on a video the other day and he says the perception of threat is what starts up the anxious reaction. Doesn't seem to matter if the threat is real or not. It's the perception that counts. Is it the survival part of the brain that is perceiving that threat? Because it happens so quickly like an automatic response. It is not controllable in the case of a disorder. But then the coach says removing that perception of threat is the key to ridding the anxiety. The perception apparently is based on beliefs and experiences and memories of stressful threatening situations from the past. So, that sounds like the thinking part of the brain is very much involved in the anxiety response.

Yet, what the article says, is that the anxiety is in the body. So I guess there is some connection between the survival and thinking parts of the brain? Maybe early in life you were in situations that seemed dangerous and threatening to survival... then you had this anxiety response to deal with it. But it got activated so often over years, maybe day after day, it became habit, and you started seeing threats when no real ones were there. As the article says, that's a key job of the survival brain, detecting threat, figuring out what is safe or not. With an anxiety disorder too much is perceived as unsafe.

Such a complicated business.

BoutonLune

BoutonLune

Thanks, yes that makes sense. I have been in a lot of situations where the survival instinct was on constant alert from younger and onwards. I had never thought about how that connects to the behaviour becoming a habit. It finds it difficult to distinguish between real and not real threats now.

Certainly does make it more complicated, but helps explain why it is so hard to manage.

BoutonLune

BoutonLune

To late to edit above post.

It does happen quickly, so yes little thought beforehand, hence it is a habit generating an automatic response.

In fact what I considered my thoughts are maybe created from the survival brains reaction rather than the other way around.

Very interesting @jajingna Thank you.

jajingna

jajingna

Socially, the anxiety disorder is quite a burden. If I'm feeling unsafe because of perceived threats everywhere, I'm missing out on good opportunities. You can see the person without this burden (most people) having a good time socially, and yet for the person with the problem the old brain and nervous or limbic system or whatever, is saying "be careful, may not be safe."

It was initially a kind of solution or adaptation, that kept the child safe, in most cases, in the situation where it was needed. But then it became the "go to response" for all sorts of situations. The survival response was doing its job too well. Protecting the child from imaginary threats. I guess the survival brain doesn't know what's real or not. It just does its job to protect you from harm.

F

FrustratedPatient

But isn't anxiety a natural response to an actual threat? It seems to me that many doctors are quick to dole out a diagnosis for a symptom that's perfectly normal human reaction to certain stimuli. I equally understand that there's a difference and a spectrum related to the actual reaction however. In some cases, its perfectly normal to be nervous, apprehensive, or avoid certain situations that make you feel uncomfortable.

For example. I don't prefer the feelings I experience during or after riding a rollercoaster. I'm not afraid of it, nor am I concerned with getting hurt on it or it breaking etc. I chose not to ride because they ultimately make me nauseated. Sensory deconfliction is a really thing between all the senses of the body, if your eyes, your skin, your nerves, inner ear, nose and brain all have conflicts your body is going to think its ingested some sort of poison, bad food, or something to cause the sensory conflicts which is medically known as motion sickness.

I also avoid riding in the back seat of cars if at all possible, especially if there's an erratic driver at the wheel. I'm avoiding sensor conflicts that lead to nausea.

Lastly, I prefer to sleep on airline flights. Not because I'm afraid of the plane crashing, or suffering some sort of in-flight catastrophe but because in the event I do experience sensory conflicts, I'd prefer to not feel that way.

I guess I'm getting at the point that when are nerves, an anxious feelings a disorder compared to a natural response to a actual "threat".

jajingna

jajingna

But isn't anxiety a natural response to an actual threat?
Of course it is. It's the symptom or response that alerts us to danger. Guess we're more concerned about disorders here though. When anxiety just keeps happening without any actual threat setting it off, that's a problem. We somehow need to learn what threats are real and what ones are not, or to which extent they are a threat, a minor or a major one.

F

FrustratedPatient

Of course it is. It's the symptom or response that alerts us to danger. Guess we're more concerned about disorders here though. When anxiety just keeps happening without any actual threat setting it off, that's a problem. We somehow need to learn what threats are real and what ones are not, or to which extent they are a threat, a minor or a major one.
Thanks for the reply. In my case I do have a couple diagnosis in my medical record due to asking for Xanax for flying. In fact all of my diagnosis are related to flying however what is listed in my medical record isn't accurate as none of my fears or anxieties are experienced outside of the realm of actual flight. In fact in my case its not flying that causes me to be nervous, its the sensations associated with it that cause me concern. Meaning the sensory conflicts if reference to the horizon is lost, or if I bend over to grab something form under my seat while we're turning. After expressing said symptoms to my physician, he recommended Xanax however I'm not sure if it meets the criteria in which I've been diagnosed.

N

natalie

Anxiety is based in the mind/head otherwise, for star ters, I wouldn't be on anxiety medicatio now, would I, off course, it's in the mind, head, and now that i have been on my med for anxiety over a long, i certainlycouldn't and wouldn't dr eam off tapering off now. I'm sticking with it.

Best regards all.

Natalie,

London, England, UK.

OCDguy

OCDguy

The way I see it is some physical reactions can be debilitating, while others a irritation. For example someone might have a sore, or swollen finger. That won't prevent someone from being able to write, it will feel awkward amongst other things, but it is something that can be worked through. When it comes to something like anxiety/fear, I think what actually neutralises it, is confidence. When you know you can handle a situation because you have the right skill sets, it becomes less stressful and makes someone less anxious. I think the secret lies in knowing exactly what needs working on, and it might mean delving several layers into areas which are causing the most headaches etc. to being about the best gains. What does everyone else think? :)

L

LastChance

This reminds me of a Lady Gaga lyric she wrote in a song about anxiety, called Alice;

"Could you pull me out of this alive? Where's my body, I'm stuck in my mind"